𝘾𝙖𝙨𝙨𝙖𝙣𝙙𝙧𝙖 𝘿𝙞𝙢𝙞𝙩𝙧𝙚𝙨𝙘𝙪 - 𝘬𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳 𝘬𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳 .𝟐

[ female reader ]

Your heart is in your stomach yet your chest is heavy, suffocating under the gaze of the one person you tried so hard to protect. From yourself, from the village, everything. You were so careful. Never had any loose ends lying around, never let a witness escape, never had a slip-up. Until now.

You have to search for your voice, feeling it shake helplessly. "Cassandra?" It's a quiet plea for her to say something. To end the silence growing so thick you could cut it with a knife. Apt for you.

Golden eyes drop to the crowbar. Blood pumps through your veins and drums in your ears, thumping quicker than your mind since it's stuck like a broken record. Replaying the moment you lowered your guard and allowed her to see the real you. The monster that you tried to hide.

"No." Everything stops when she finally speaks. You're breathless, watching her head shake side to side. For the first time ever it's a struggle to decipher the look on her face. Disappointment, guilt, anger, who knows. "No." She turns on her heels to march in the opposite direction.

You pry your feet from the earth, her name falling from your lips over and over again. The crowbar is abandoned alongside the body. Within a few seconds you're caught up but still struggling to match her strides.

"Wait, please. Cassandra."

Something flashes through her eyes, shedding a veil of darkness across them. "Don't touch me." She growls. You flinch from the tone and retract your hand from her arm. Lines split through your forehead.

"I can explain. I swear to you I can explain everything."

"I don't care. I don't wanna hear it." You gulp down a sob when she brushes past, using the dipping temperature to flatten her temper around you. Her fists are clenched to dig her nails into her palms, even though it's useless in distracting her.

Your head turns, your body following suit. "Please don't walk away. Cassandra? Cassandra please!"

You manage to block her path by standing directly in front. She clenches her jaw. Buzzing infiltrates the air. You pat your chest when flies swarm together, watching her materialise behind you, forcing out a heavy breath as you chase after her again.

Warmth fills the castle on the other side of the village, dressed in serenity. Not a soul in sight since the witches are preoccupied down below whilst their mother is resting behind closed doors. It's peaceful. Until the front doors bang open and you rush inside behind your witch, destroying every shred of quietness.

"I'm begging you to listen to me. Please, Cassandra, I don't want you to do anything rash. I wanted to tell you! Stop walking, please. Cassandra!" You're taken back when the bedroom door slams shut in your face. As you reach for the handle you hear the lock click from the other side. Fists pummel against the wood.

"Cass, please open the door. Just let me explain. I didn't meanーI didn't mean for you to find out like this. I was tryin' to protect you, tryin' to protect us. This village is cursed, so is everyone who lives here, but I wanted it to be different for us. Don't shut me out."

Your forehead rests against the smooth wood. Silence. Not even a breath from the other side. She could have disappeared to another room to truly be away from you, but you know she's in there. You can sense her. You always could. Why couldn't you stop yourself just this once? You let your emotions blind you. Amateur move.