𝙆𝙖𝙧𝙡 𝙃𝙚𝙞𝙨𝙚𝙣𝙗𝙚𝙧𝙜 - 𝘭𝘺𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨

[ any reader ]

This wasn't supposed to happen. Today wasn't supposed to end with you running for your life in the dead of night from a hoard of starving lycans, yet here you are.

You almost lose your balance as you dash across the fresh layer of snow settling on the earth, but manage to keep yourself upright, using their snarls to fuel your adrenaline. One jumps ahead and scratches its claws across the back of your leg.

You whine and tumble across the trail, hearing their heavy footsteps slow down as they surround your smaller form. They sniff the air, inhaling the scent of your blood. Two creep closer and bump shoulders, growling and tackling one another viciously.

A significantly larger one launches from the roof of a house and lands with a thud, tilting its head while sniffing. You freeze under its glowing eyes. The terror on your blanched face stirring something strange deep within itself. It produces a thundering roar from its chest that caused the other lycans to slowly retreat.

The one you presume to be the alpha hovers above you with a newfound curiosity, intrigued by your entire being. Unknowingly you hold your breath when it's nose brushes against your jaw.

"[Y/n]!" Your mother calls into the night, evidently terrified after finding your home empty. "[Y/n]?!"

"[Y/n] where the hell are you?" Your father bellows with concern.

As quick as you shift your attention back to the lycans, they vanish through the gaps in the trees. The leader halts to take one last longing glance at you before taking off.

Three nights later and the encounter with the lycans is still playing on your mind, shadowing every thought that passes through it. You gaze up at the stars, turning away from the window once your mother returns to the main room.

"We'll be leaving now." She informs. "I still don't like you living here alone. This place is so dangerous."

"I left you another one of my guns and some spare ammo." Your father nods.

"Thanks. I'll be fine. You should go before it gets dark."

"Keep the doors and windows locked." Your mother kisses your cheek. You hum and hug your father, bidding them goodbye. As promised you bolt the door shut behind them. It wouldn't do much to keep a human out, never mind the creatures that lurk the village at night, but it's all you can do.

You retire to your bedroom, making yourself comfortable in the dim room. An hour or so passes by in the blink of an eye, taking you into the middle of the night where most beasts come out of hiding to hunt. You fail to notice the time until you hear a thump downstairs.

You close your book and place it on the bedside table, carrying the lantern through the house to guide your way. One of your father's guns clutched firmly in your other hand. You hold your breath after catching a shadow on the wall to your right.

"I have a gun." You announce shakily. "Don't move or I will shoot." The creaking of the floorboards cease, indicating they've obeyed and decided to stay still. You slowly peer around the wall, squinting at the figure in the corner.