𝘿𝙤𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝘽𝙚𝙣𝙚𝙫𝙞𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙤 - 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘰𝘮𝘦

[ any reader ]

Flickering flames illuminate the path leading deeper into the cave, narrow tunnels winding and separating like mischievous snakes luring their prey into a trap. The dishevelled man finds an opening and enters the open space.

"The hell?" Ethan whispers to himself.

He sifts through old notes scattered along the stone table in the centre. Pots and glass vials containing god knows what filling the empty spaces between them. He sets the lantern down to look properlyー he can't deny his curiosity. Cursive stretches across crumpled, coffee-stained paper.

"Subject erratic. Cannot be controlled. Unknown weakness, dislikes bright lights." He frowns.

A clinking sound has him dropping the note to hold up the lantern again, pushing it outwards to extinguish the darkness. He could've sworn something moved in the corner of his eye. Unless his mind is playing tricks again.

Daring to step closer with his arm extended, he squints at the gaps between corroded bars, searching for the figure he definitely caught a glimpse of.

"Hello? Is someone there?"

"Who are you?"

Ethan halts before the locked door. He hadn't expected such a timid voice to respond to himー or any voice at all for that matter. It's still far too dark for him to see who's on the other side so he brings the lantern a little closer. A silhouette appears against the obsidian wall.

"My name's Ethan. Ethan Winters." He can't help stammering as he speaks. "Who are you?"

"I don't know anymore."

"Why are youー why are you all the way down here? Locked in a cell... On your own."

"I was betrayed."

"By who?"

"Mother Miranda."

"I know her. I'm here to kill her." He backs away when the figure inside slowly rises to stand tall, chains clinking as they move. Ethan gulps. They take slow, calculated steps towards him.

"You are human."

"Yeーyes."

"You cannot kill a god. I can. I can help you."

"How?"

"Set me free."

"I don't know. You could've been locked down here for a reason. I don't know you, you could be evil."

"Evil." They step close enough for him to see an outline, a pair of unfamiliar eyes seeming to glow under the dim light from his lantern. They slice through him and penetrate deep into his soul. He swallows. "I was betrayed. I've been trapped down here all alone for so long. It's felt like decades."

Ethan hangs up the lantern so it dangles above the cell, shedding some light across their face, though the stubborn shadows keep most of their features hidden still. They watch closely as he searches the books on the table until he locates a diary.