𝘾𝙝𝙧𝙞𝙨 𝙍𝙚𝙙𝙛𝙞𝙚𝙡𝙙 - 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘱𝘢𝘯𝘪𝘤

[ male reader ]

"Everyone alright?" Chris asks over the comms upon returning to the aircraft. He receives affirmations from his squad and nods to himself. "Alright, make your way back to me."

"Chris?" He turns to where you're leant against the side of the aircraft. Instantly he notices your pale face and adjusts his gun, moving closer. "Don't panic, but I'm pretty sure you shot me."

"What?" He shrieks.

"Yeah." You pull your bloody hand from your side. "That's a problem. That ca—can't be good." Your legs give way but he catches you.

"You slept in that chair all night?" Emily holds out the cup of coffee. Chris sits up and thanks her as he takes it, at peace when his hands welcome the warmth.

"Didn't want to leave in case he woke up."

"He's gonna be okay. He's suffered much worse than a gunshot wound before."

"I know, but he hates anything that resembles a hospital." He misses the knowing smile that appears on her face, placing the mug on the table.

"Well I just wanted to check in on you both. Make sure you haven't spiralled into a pool of remorse."

"Close to."

"We all make mistakes, Chris. [Y/n] will understand." He would argue if he had the energy. He just wants you to wake up. "I'll come back later." She squeezes his shoulder.

A faint groan has his head snapping to survey you. Your eyes squint under the lights, taking in the unfamiliar room.

"Camping at my bedside?" You rasp, licking your dry lips. It almost makes you chuckle at how fast he springs forwards in his seat, with his wide eyes sweeping over you. "I'm fine, Chris."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure. I've been through worse. You think a bullet can stop me? Nah." The corners of your mouth raise a little.

"I don't know how to make it up to you."

"You don't have to."

"I shot you."

"And I survived."

"Barely."

"Chris, I'm fine. I'm healing. Just be prepared for me to be your boss for the next few days starting now, that's fair isn't it? I could really use some water or something."

He helps you to sit up against the pillows, filling a styrofoam cup and passing it to you. You thank him and sip the cool drink, feeling his eyes on you the entire time.

"I know you're concerned but the staring is getting a little creepy."

"I shot you."

"I know, I was there."

"[Y/n]."

"What do you want Chris? For me to yell at you? Throw something at you?"