𝘽𝙚𝙡𝙖 𝘿𝙞𝙢𝙞𝙩𝙧𝙚𝙨𝙘𝙪 - 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳 & 𝘢 𝘧𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘦𝘳

[ female reader ]

The sunrise is picturesque as you board the jet, familiar with the stripes of blood orange that split through baby pink sky. Your trusted right-hand man is ready and waiting as usual, first greeting you with a simple nod of his head as he adjusts his earpiece, wearing his routine playful smirk.

"Morning boss."

"Morning, Rogue." You answer flatly.

"Heard we're bringing the newbie today."

"He advanced through his training."

"Sure he's ready?"

"You can never be ready."

A brow quirks, shoulders shrugging in a feigned conceited manner. "I was ready." He sniffs nonchalantly whilst keeping his gun firmly against his front. Padded with a protective layer; a bulletproof vest shields his torso but leaves his muscled arms bare.

"Wait for me!" Comes a less strident voice. Your head veers to view the man dashing along the runway with his hand raised, an attempt to flag down your attention. Rogue can't help but laugh gruffly at his flustered face once he makes it onboard. He pants and nods. "Hi. Hello."

"If you are out of breath from a two hundred metre sprint you will not survive out in the field."

"Not out of breath just trying not to have a panic attack." He settles his hands on his hips, forcing a smile that fades quicker than lightning once he flickers between your unamused faces. "They warned me not to make jokes," he mumbles to himself. "I'm Gray. Gray Alistair. I'm honoured to be working undeーalongside you. Living legend. Specimen."

"You talk too much."

"Yeah I know."

"On missions we don't use real names we use code names." You bang the side of your fist against the wall, prompting the pilot to begin preparations for takeoff. Gray takes a seat and pulls the straps of the harness tight over his torso, unaware that Rogue is watching with a raised brow.

He checks his seatbelt before rubbing his cold hands together. "So what's my name? I've actually had some thoughts about thaー"

"Rookie."

He stares with an open mouth. "Ah, I see what this is. You guys call me Rookie until I prove myself. I can do that. How long will it last for? A day or two?"

"A lot longer I'd day." Rogue nods.

"Was your nickname Rookie too?"

He laughs deeply, shoulders heaving slightly. Gray chuckles with him until he falls completely silent without warning. "No."

"You've always been Rogue?"

"Don't get on my bad side." Gray gulps and nods. "Definitely don't get on her bad side."

Soon the jet is ascending into the air and soaring through the blanket of clouds, quivering under the wind and rattling from turbulence. Gray is bewildered to say the least. He can't seem to tear his eyes from you since you're stood scanning an iPad, busy filing reports into the system. Not bothered by the violent tremors in the slightest.