𝙆𝙖𝙧𝙡 𝙃𝙚𝙞𝙨𝙚𝙣𝙗𝙚𝙧𝙜 - 𝘩𝘦𝘹𝘦𝘥

[ any reader ]

Voices blend together as everyone files into the chapel in an orderly fashion, taking to their seats one by one. Miranda takes her place with her hands clasped in front of herself, clearing her throat once the Lords have quietened.

"Now that we are all here, let us begin this week's... family meeting." Her eyes are trained solely on you seated beside Karl, a hand resting on his knee and a hint of a smile on your lips. It falters under her stoney gaze.

"You were saying." Karl prompts, bringing his cigar to his scarred lips. Her smile diminishes behind the tufts of pearl-grey he purposely blows in her direction.

"Allow me to reiterate." Her resolve is threatening to slip but she refuses to let the facade fall so easily, so quickly, without provocation. "This is a family meeting. Karl may have bent the rules by letting you attend the last dozen but I must insist on this occasion."

You cast your gaze across the group to find them staring you down. Swallowing, you begin to retract your hands from Karl much to his bewilderment.

"I'm intruding. You don't want me here, of course you don't. I can leave. I'll leave."

"Don't be ridiculous." Karl's hand on your thigh has you staying seated on the pew. "You're not intruding."

"Actually they are." Alcina remarks.

"I'll wait outside, it's okay." You assure.

"The hell you will. We agreed to attend all meetings together regardless of importance. No one objected when I brought it up."

"You didn't give us a chance to."

"Uncalled for." He points to his sister who sighs loudly. "Either start the meeting or we are both leaving. I'm not in the mood to be tested today."

Miranda exhales. "Neither am I. What is discussed within these walls will remain within these walls, do you understand?" You're compelled to nod the moment the question is directed at you. It doesn't soften her glare however. "Now, where was I?"

Your body sinks into Karl's side, the presence of his arm stretched across the back of the pew behind you and the faint scent of his cologne working wonderfully to ease your temper. You put on an unbothered smile and lace your fingers together.

Not even Moreau could miss the way Alcina's gloved hand grips the edge of her seat, the leather creaking from her strength. He bows his head and blocks it out.

"Fuck." Karl pats his shirt.

"I'll get them." You offer.

He watches you stroll back inside the chapel, his eyes practically sparkling at the sight. You collect his sunglasses from the pew, clutching them in careful hands while silently making your way to the doors. It's the sound of nearby voices which encourages your feet to pause.

"It won't last long." Says Alcina. "I can bet my life they'll split up eventually. It's inevitable. What does he see in them?"