Family In Law - [George Russell]

A/N: for 6justMe21

TAGLIST: Garrixer_06 Jhawker123 landon0rris Judy_Taurus

WORDCOUNT: 1163

SYNOPSIS: George meets your parents again, who don't support your relationship with George. Although they have not met George often, your father has prejudices towards George because of some incidents on the track and after the track last season.

"I have to admit that I feel slightly nervous, Y/N," George sighed while he steered the car onto the road. He looked over at you as he leaned back in his seat, one of his hands resting atop the steering wheel. "I know, babe," you replied. You were on your way to the yearly barbecue your parents held, where some of your other family members were present as well, who was going to meet George for the first time. You weren't afraid that your aunt and uncle wouldn't like George. They were very supportive of whatever you did in life, and they didn't even watch F1. But your father did. And after the incident in Imola last year, where George had a severe crash with Valtteri Bottas, your father wasn't as charmed by George anymore. Especially his reaction behind the camera at the interviews was something your father had despised, even while you had argued many times that George was just shaken up by the big shunt, and he had apologized afterward.

Ever since George couldn't do anything right in your father's eyes. You told him not to be bothered by it. You hated the way your father acted towards George as much as he did himself, and you wanted George to know that you supported him no matter what. George relaxed a little after he got to know that more people than your parents would be present at the barbecue, which would give him the opportunity to talk to other people as well. "We can always leave early," you added. "And you know I got your back whenever my father starts being an asshole to you," you finished, looking over at him. George gave you a smile, reaching for your hand to hold. It didn't take long before you arrived at your family house, and George parked his Mercedes on the porch. You both got out, and George followed you around the back and into the garden, where some people were already seated, and your mom was walking back and forth to provide the guests with everything they needed.

She was the first one to spot you, and she rushed over to you with a wide smile. "It's so great to see you both, welcome again!" Your mother smiled, hugging you tightly, and George as well. "We brought this for the barbecue." George handed over the bottle of wine, which caused your mother's smile to widen. "Thank you so much, I'm sure we will enjoy it," she smiled. Your father joined soon enough, kissing your cheek. He shook George's hand, but with a face that told you enough already. He didn't say much yet, which made you feel relieved. You let George meet your aunt and uncle, who were very friendly and interested, as you guessed already. You and George sat down at the table in the garden, and you had gotten him something to drink. Soon enough, the seats at the table were filled, and the salads were spread on the plates. People were chatting, and your family was clearly fond of George. It was nearly quiet at one moment when an older niece of yours spoke up. "So, George. What exactly do you do for a living?" she asked.

"Well ehm... I race in Formula 1," George said, a soft laughing leaving his lips. He looked over at you, and you were beaming next to him. "We just returned from George's weekend in Budapest. He scored his first points of the season," you proudly rambled, your hand moving over George's arm to squeeze his wrist. George felt the warmth spreading through his chest, making him look over at you with a loving gaze. "Oh, that's quite a job!" your niece laughed. "So impressive though. For which team are you racing?" she asked next. "Williams," George said. "I don't think you'll be moving from that team soon, George." George's jaw clenched when your father spoke up. "That's fine," he replied. "I'm happy with where I am now," he continued. "Driving at the back of the grid?" You shot your father a glance to stop it. "Yeah, like I said, I'm happy with where I am now," George repeated. "After that disaster last year, I'm not surprised Mercedes wouldn-..." "In fact, we stayed in Budapest a little longer because George had to test with Mercedes for the 2022 season already, right?" you said, looking over at George.

"It was just protocol of the team," George added. "And there are serious contract talks. So unless you have Toto Wolff on speed dial, insight in whatever happens behind the scenes at Williams or Mercedes, or unless you're a Formula 1 driver, I don't want to hear a thing about George's career anymore. He's driving his heart out, and he's doing great. Now stop harassing my boyfriend," you exclaimed, causing the silence to overtake. Nobody had expected you to say something like this. "By the way, McDonalds has better burgers than these," George added. "Shall we go?" he asked, to which you nodded. You took your purse with you, and you both made your way out of the garden. "I can't believe you said that," George started to laugh when you were standing by his car. You giggled in response as he opened the door for you. You were about to lean up to kiss him, when you saw that your father had followed you. He looked rather embarrassed, and damn right he was. "I wanted to apologize," he started.

"I'm sorry for my ridiculous behavior. I guess my one and only daughter getting a boyfriend made me want to scare him off," your father said. George's hand moved to the small of your back. "It's alright," George said. "I guess I can understand that somewhere," he chuckled. "I think you have to apologize more to her, though," George added, looking down at you. "I'm sorry, Y/N. And the two of you are very welcome to stay, if you'd like," your father said. You nodded slowly. "Hey, we'll sit this one out. Perhaps we can join another time," you said, after feeling George squeezing your waist, which let you he agreed. You and George got into his car, and George reversed it out of the porch. It was quiet for a moment, before George spoke up. "Unless you have Toto Wolff on speed dial..." You both burst into laughter. "What? I was just frustrated!" You said. George smiled at you, taking your hand in his again, and kissing the back of your hand. "Thank you," he said. "Now, I'm starving," he added. You looked at each other again.

"McDonalds has better burgers than these!"