56. Taking Him Home

Ling Fan was absent-minded throughout the night class. He left school and and headed for home, with an abstracted look on his face, just like a walking corpse.

He didn't come back to himself until he got a call from Lei Wu.

“Hello.”

“Boss...” Lei Wu's voice came from the other end of the line. There was a note of anxiety in his voice.

“What's wrong?”

“Er... Just now Monkey called and told me that he escaped.”

“Is it Chu Xiao?”

“Yep. Sorry, Boss. We didn't finish the task.” Lei Wu's voice was full of guilt.

Ling Fan had planned everything perfectly. The tendency to take the enemy lightly was the cause of their failure. They hadn't expected that Chu Xiao would keep a blade in his sleeve. They were caught unprepared. That was why Chu Xiao escaped so easily.

Lei Wu thought that he should be responsible for Chu Xiao’s escape, although he was not at the scene. After all, he didn’t complete the task Ling Fan gave him.

“Boss, he was injected with the drug. I think he can’t run far. How about me looking around for him?”

“Forget it. You guys can knock off.”

“But…”

Ling Fan interrupted Lei Wu, “How long do you think will take Chu Xiao's subordinates to shake off Tiger and his men?”

He paused for a second and said in a low voice, “I don’t want to make a big thing out of it. It will do no good if we go further. So, it’s time to knock off. You guys can go home to get some sleep. Remember to clean up the scene. Don’t leave any traces behind.”

“Okay, I see.”

......

Ling Fan hung up and breathed a sigh of relief. He put his cell phone back in his pocket.

Chu Xiao escaped. The plan failed. Theoretically, Ling Fan should be very angry. But in fact, he was calm.

He didn’t get angry or feel disappointed. Instead, for some unknown reason, he was secretly pleased and felt relieved.

Did he regret it?

Yes, he regretted it bitterly.

But it was not because of Lei Wu’s failure, but because he went against his real self.

He had been haunted by remorse since he had Lei Wu kidnap Chu Xiao.

Maybe earlier than that...

But there could be no turning back at that time.

So, although there was a voice inside him telling him to stop doing that, he made the drug according to his plan and then had Lei Wu kidnap Chu Xiao...

The news that Chu Xiao escaped removed a heavy weight from his mind.

Ling Fan decided to put his conflicting emotions aside and go home first.