Chapter 2: Sneaking out

Clay woke up pretty early to the muffled sound of his alarm clock under a blanket, so it wouldn't wake up anyone else.

Today, he wanted to do something very important. He snuck out of the castle, after he grabbed himself some snack crabs for breakfast. There weren't many people around the castle this early in the morning, so no one noticed him.

Once he was outside the castle, he went to the house of his friend Nicolas aka Sapnap.

The two of them had met when Clay had snuck out the castle once at the age of nine. He had gotten caught and beaten up by the kids in Sapnap's neighborhood. Sapnap had found him, taken him home and helped him.

But today, Clay wasn't visiting him to just hang out with him. When Clay had first heard of the war at the age of two, the first thing he asked had been: "Bwut why can't we just be fwiends wif em?"

Everytime he heard people talk about the war, he had asked that question. But no one ever answered him.

He had been sneaking out of the castle for years now, and during those little adventures he had found out most of the sirens weren't happy with the war and their king.

Soon, Clay had found a little rebellion forming itself. He had wanted to join, so he had made himself a mask with a smile on to wear outside so no one would recognize him.

The new rebel, known as Dream, had soon became leader of the little group. Under the secret lead of the prince, they had started informing the people of their town about the war.

Because what the citizens didn't know was that the truce was about to run out. In only a few months it would all start again. The rebellion was growing, the people wanted peace.

Clay, now wearing his mask, knocked on the door. Three times fast, two times slow. A code, so Sapnap would know it was him. Today, he planned on going the next step in bringing peace to the merfolk and the sirens.