Chapter 86: Fish

This is officially my new favourite chapter!

TW: Mentions of Kidnapping

*****************************

The flow became less and less powerful until they were just softly being taken futher, but it still would have taken a lot of strenght to fight against it.

George loosened his grip on Dream and looked up to him. Although it was too dark to see anything, George could feel his relief about them not being in life threatening danger anymore and his happiness about being able to just hold George in the darkness.

Then George noticed their fingers were intertwined. He wanted to let go to not make Dream feel uncomfortable, but the siren tightened his grip and wrapped his tail around George's tail.

George's breath hitched, but he could feel Dream's warmth and even though he couldn't see it, he knew he was smiling. The merman closed his eyes and just leaned against the body close to him, feeling safer and happier than ever before despite the situation they were in.

He could hear the sirens heartbeat close to his ear. Strong arms wrapped themselves around him, but not like his kidnappers arms had, rough and uncaring, but sweet and gentle. How could I ever doubt him?

Suddenly, a small light appeared just a few finger's lenghts away. The light swam along with them. Fascinated, George reached out it, but Dream grabbed his arm.

"Don't", his husky voice whispered right by the merman's ear sending shivers down his spine. "They're poisonous." "What?" "Look." George took a closer look at the little light and realised it was a fish, not bigger than his finger.

A second small fish started gleaming not far away from the first. "They never come alone", Dream whispered, voice shivering in anticipation.

"What do you mean?", George asked, but then he noticed two more fish a few tail's lengths from where they were coming from.

More and more little fish started glowing until they were so many George couldn't count them anymore. They lit up the faces of the other rebels and the surroundings, a small corridor made out of stone.

"What's happening?!", someone shouted from the back. "It's mating time...", Dream mumbled in awe.

As George was watching the first fish that was now swimming close to his face, he noticed another light below them. But this time, it wasn't just a warm white, it was pink. The pink fish swam up to George's fish and they started slowly circling around eachother.

"When the males are looking for females to mate with", Dream quietly mumbled in George's ear, "they start glowing. All males glow in this warm white tone, while the females...", he pointed down the corridor to the others.

Even more fish were starting to glow around them, but in many different colors. "When a female accepts the courting of a male, she answers with glowing herself", Dream explained.

"How do you know all this?" George was awestruck. "I had a good teacher", Dream simply answered.
"They're so beautiful...", George trailed off.

As George was watching the fish do their thing, he noticed his siren friend staring at him. He turned around and his eyes were met with green eyes filled with warmth. Uncaring about the spectacular show going on around them and focusing only on George, Dream answered: "They really are."