Chapter 57: No handshakes

Just as Dream and George had reunited, a loud voice behind them yelled: "Alright everybody, wake up! Time to go!"
Annoyed mumbling and muffled protest answered the call.

Dream looked up and saw Punz swimming in the middle of the opening looking fresh and vital.

"Who does he think is to boss us around?", George asked. "He's the leader", Wilbur answered amusedly.

Punz had overheard George's question and he came over to them. "Why weren't you sleeping? And who is he?"

Wilbur chuckled. "He's that special "friend" Dream mentioned", he explained, smirking smugly at Dream. "What do you mean?" George turned around to look at Wilbur.

What does he thinks he's doing?!, Dream thought alarmedly. He moved his hand along his throat, a clear threat to Wilbur, while George was focusing on the threatened. But the merman who'se brown scales blinked in the first sunlight simply raised a brow at him and grinned wider.

Before he could say something Dream didn't want George to hear, he blurted: "I wanted to go look for you to bring you here because I thought you were heading in the wrong direction." "Ah." George nodded, but still seemed suspicious of the two.

"Well", Punz cut in, "I guess I owe you an apology." He reached out to Dream. Confused, Dream stared at the open hand in front of him. What was he supposed to do now?

George grabbed his arm and positioned himself between him and Punz. "He doesn't do handshaking, it has something to do with his past", he lied. Punz drew his hand back. "Oh, I'm sorry."

Dream realized just in time that it was his turn to respond now if he didn't want them to think he needed George to defend him. "It wasn't your fault, you didn't know", he scratched his neck uncomfortably, "it's uh... it's personal. But I accept your apology."
Punz nodded and left, much to Dream's relief. Wilbur seemed confused, but didn't say anything.

"Please excuse us for a minute", George said and pulled his friend away.