Chapter 81: One Traitor

TW: Captivity, Cursing, Mentions of Betrayal and Death

*****************************

"You're gonna regret treating me like this, you know..."

George, who was tied to the back of a swordfish, had given up fighting against his captors a while ago. What was the point? He was too weak anyway.
So instead of wasting his energy trying to break free, George had resorted to annoying the hell out of his kidnappers.

It was working quite well, they weren't that smart.

"One more word out of that pretty mouth of yours and it will be shut for eternity", the one who was on the same swordfish as George hissed.

"Aww, come on", George said as if he was talking to a small child, "you and I both know you won't do that. After all", he grinned smugly, "my life is a lot more important to the king than yours."

"And what makes you think that?", the merman in front of him asked angrily. "Oh, I don't know... maybe the fact that he said I shouldn't be harmed at any cost?

It's kinda funny if you think about it. I'm so important even though I don't give a damn about the king, but you guys, who risk their lifes for him on the daily are overlooked. I mean, have you ever gotten any kind of appreciation from him for betraying your country, like, I don't know, a medal?"

The mermen looked at eachother dumbfounded. "I'll take that as a no", George smiled.

"We... we get trading items for it!", one of them stuttered. "Yeah, but... are those really worth it? I mean, if anyone finds out, you're done. And the sirens aren't gonna come save you then", he mocked. "You're gonna be left alone with nowhere to go, because everyone would be after you."

The blonde merman stopped the swordfish he was riding on, got off and grabbed George by the throat. "They won't find out!", he yelled in George's face.

Calmly wiping the spit off his nose as best as he could with tied hands, George replied: "How would you know? Maybe they already do. It only takes one of you traitors to be discovered and you're all doomed."

The merman let go of him and slowly backed off, a shocked expression on his face. "You're right", he whispered.

"Ah, don't worry", George touched his throat that the print of the guy's hand was visibly drawn across, "I always am."

"Shit...", the merman mumbled. "Let's finish this mission and quit." He got onto his swordfish again.

"What?!", George exclaimed. The swordfish started swimming again. "Hey! You guys realize that's not gonna work, right? Once you're not useful anymore the king might just kill you!" But his remarks weren't listened to anymore.