Chapter 31: Necklace

TW: Panic attack, captivity, cussing, death

*****************************

When Dream awoke for the second time, George had already woken up. He hadn't moved though. That irritated Dream, but he definetly wouldn't complain.

The last time someone had held him like this had been a long time ago and until now he never realized how much he had missed it. Dream felt like he had really slept for the first time in years.

He carefully lifted himself up.

Suddenly, he spot something in the corner of his eyes. His green seaweed necklace was glowing.

Shit. Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit!

"Dream, are you okay?" George's still sleepy voice caught him off guard. "Y-yeah... just..." His voice died down. "Just what?", George asked. "I'm... nevermind. Don't worry about it", Dream answered with a reassuring smile. He let go of George and swam to the other side of the pool.

There had to be a mistake... right? Carefully, he removed the necklace and turned it around. There was no doubt. It was glowing in a bright aquamarine.

Memories shot through Dream, voices started talking in his head.

"Happy birthday, Clay!" "Thank you mommy! But where is daddy?" "He... isn't coming today, my little duckling. But... we'll just have fun without him, just you and me! Alright? Look, I got you a present!" "A necklace? What do I do with a neclace?" A warm laugh. "Wear it, duckling!"

"Through the necklace, I'll always be with you, no matter what happens, okay? And if I ever need you, it'll glow."

Dream stared at the glowing string in his hands, not noticing how he was shaking. Tears were swimming in his eyes. No... this is impossible... He felt like he was in trance. George was yelling at him, but it sounded like he was miles away.

"Mommy! ...Why are you sleeping in marmelade? Mommy? Wake up, daddy wants to see you!

...

Mommy? W-why aren't you moving...? S-stop playing, it's not funny anymore!"

...

"She's gone, Clay, and there's nothing you can do about it!" "Stop acting like she ever meant anything to you!"

Dream didn't notice George's warm arms around him. He didn't notice the tears running down his cheeks. He did notice the net, but couldn't find any will to fight against it in himself anymore.

The redheaded human was yelling, he seemed to be upset. Dream couldn't care less. He was still staring at the glowing necklace in his hands.