Chapter 120: A Prince's Duty

TW: Mentions of War and it's Results, Cursing, Mentions of Separation Anxiety?, Skephalo?

*****************************

Quackity had sent George home after promising to arrange a meeting with Dream at the border on the third sunrise to come. Now all George could do was wait and hope Quackity was trustworthy. And of course that Dream would still want to be with him.

He couldn't have moved on so quickly, could he? He seemed so sincere when he confessed... Like I'll be the only he ever loves... But I can't expect him to still like me, right? I mean, I did reject him pretty harshly.

What was I thinking? Of course I want to be with him! I guess... I just wasn't ready for a relationship without having time to think. But I didn't say that, I just left. I don't know what I'd do if he did that to me...

He must be devastated. Atleast if he was being serious. If he wasn't, then he isn't worth my gorgeous ass anyway.

Back at the castle, the water felt strange. The servants kept their heads low and everyone looked like the end of the world was about to come.

Finally, George couldn't take it anymore and decided to pay his father a visit. That old man should have a clue what's going on in his castle, right?

But he didn't even have to go that far, because he happened to run into Skeppy and Bad in the hallway on his way to the throne room. Bad was yelling at the prince, a rare sight given the fact that Badboyhalo was probably the kindest, most understanding soul in the castle. "You can't go! I don't want you to go!"

As George got closer, he realized Bad was crying. While that wasn't such a rare sight, since Bad could be a bit sensitive sometimes, he had never seen the cook's son in a state that terrible. He was gripping Skeppy's arms and looking into his eyes as if he was begging for his life.

And Skeppy looked... guilty for some reason? "I can't do anything about it", he mumbled, his voice filled with guilt and despair. "But-"

"George!" Finally, the heir had noticed his brother's presence. "What's going on?", George inquired. "Are you okay?"

Usually, Bad would've greeted him with an annoyingly complicated title or something and expressed his respects to the king's son, but now he was just swimming there in silence, still holding onto Skeppy's arms.

Normally, George would've teased him about it now, but... something was off.

Skeppy cleared his throat. "You haven't heard?" "Haven't heard what?", George asked, internally embaressed. Of course he didn't know, he had spent the entire morning talking to a siren and trying to break back into his own home, because the stupid servants entrance was out of service for some reason.

"Well...", Skeppy fidgeted with his fingers uncomfortably, "I... I'm being forced to join the army, you know... Duty as prince and stuff... Something about the merfolk being angry that everyone's sons have to join but not the king's...", his voice grew more and more quiet until he trailed off.

"What?!"