Chapter 67: Stop loving me

"When are we finally gonna be there?" "For the last time, I don't know!"

George had been annoying Punz the entire swim. Atleast he wasn't giving everybody the silent treatment. But George paying much more attention to others than to him really flipped Dream off. And Wilbur's teasing side-eyes weren't helping much either.

Dream groaned. How could he deescalate the situation? What even happened to make the merman become so careful around him?

And even worse, every time he looked at him, there was this new hatred in his eyes. Dream couldn't bear seeing it, so he had distanced himself a little.

He had asked basicially everyone if anything had happened, but they had all told him the same. Nothing. He had tried apologizing to George for whatever he may have done, but the merman hadn't cared at all.

Slowly but surely he was running out of options. Wilbur had asked George what was happening too, but hadn't gotten an answer. He had suggested to just confess Dream's feelings to George and a few other not very helpful things. If Dream ever confessed, he wanted it to be special.

In the evening, the group got the tents out again and started putting them up. Dream was helping Fundy when he glanced over at George and caught him staring.

He chuckled and swam over to his friend. "Y'know... you still owe me a kiss...", he grinned smugly, deep inside praying George would atleast acknowledge him. But the merman simply kept pretending he was water.

Dream's smile faded. He sighed. "Honestly, George, I don't know what to do anymore. If I made mistake, you can just let me know and I'll fix it." No response. "Please, I'll do anything!"

"Anything?" George finally turned around and looked him dead in the eye. "Stop." "Stop what?"

"Stop..." his voice broke and desperate tears started forming in his eyes. Dream saw it and reached out to comfort him, but George caught his arm. A slight blush covered his cheeks as he held Dream's wrist and looked up to him, straight into his eyes. "Stop loving me."

Dream's entire world felt like it just crashed and now there was nothing but dust. He choked out a silent: "What?" George let go of him, turned around and swam away. Dream watched him disappear. "But... I... I..."

Suddenly, memories started appearing in his head. How he had met George, how they had gotten closer and became friends, that evening he had almost asked if he could kiss him. How horrible and dull the world had seemed when he thought he had lost him. Like nothing could ever matter again.

Just like right now, but worse. Because back then he had someone to blame but now... now he had nobody to blame but himself.