Chapter 76: George's Home

I deeply apologize for being gone for so long, I was sick and school started again. I know those aren't real excuses, I'm sorry, it's all I got.

TW: Mentions of war and betrayal

*****************************

"Go bring this to the merman Punz." The servant raised his head and took the letter for George from the kings hands, eager to fulfill his task as quickly as possible. "Yes, your highness."

Dream, who was sitting on a small throne on the side, felt more uncomfortable than he had in years. All the things he had been shown in the past days, all the traitors... The king was ruling over the siren kingdom and -secretly- a lot of mermaids and mermen.

And although Dream seemed to be important somehow, every single idea he had offered hadn't even been listened to. Like he wasn't the prince, but a powerful object.

And the way his father was going about it - being rude to everyone, not reminding them of the "good" sides of their betrayal. It was all a game of power and expensive trading objects, no feelings included.

Even though he was telling himself this iron reign was good, since it would eventually avenge his mother, it felt so... wrong.

Everything seemed twisted. Was he doing the right thing? And if he was, why did it feel like a huge mistake?

But maybe his view on things was just... blurred, since he was missing a very important person in his life. George. Maybe, once the adorable merman had joined him, he would be reassured.

George.

George, the merman.

All of a sudden Dream realized. He wasn't only going against the merfolk, he was going against George's species, his friends and family. He was planning to destroy everything he loved. Was he really going to risk their friendship that meant so much to him for revenge? If he did, would George ever be able to forgive him?

Dream felt sick. All of this was wrong, his mother would have never wanted this. And how could he have ever been stupid enough to assume George would betray his homecountry, the people he loved?

He had to get out of here, had to get to George and save what would be left of their bond! Then, he could still figure out what to do about his mother's death. But how was he going to leave?

Suddenly, faint yelling that was quickly coming closer reached his ears. Awesamdude, a castle guard, came into the throne room carrying a bunch of little underwater plants along in his flow.

"What?!", JSchlatt hissed angrily. "The rebels..." Sam mumbled, trying to catch his breath. "They're here... and you won't believe what they want."

"Here as in "in the palace"?", Dream asked, worried about his friends. "Yes", Sam answered. "And they're...", he took a deep breath, "they're accusing us of holding their leader, the infamous DreamWasTaken, captive."