Chapter 108: Karl

TW: Mentions of Neglegtion

****************************

"Sooo... how has life been in the castle while I was gone?", George asked, internally hating himself for not knowing how to open the conversation that, according to his lie, he had wanted.

"Yeah, well... it wasn't bad", Karl admitted. "But obviously everyone was freaking out over you being gone. Prince Skeppy was so worried Bad spent eternities in his room trying to chear him up. Although the lattee might also have other reasons."

"He did?" Wow... I never thought Skeppy would care much...

"Yeah. And Princess Mary even tried sneaking out to go find you several times. And the king...", Karl made a long pause, seemingly deep in thought.

"He was barely recognizable. It appeared to... almost eat him up from the inside that he wasn't able to find you. There are rumors he made a vow to be a better father to you if you ever returned." Karl sighed.

George was stunned. They cared? They all cared about him? Especially his father so much?

"So, uhm... I know it's not really my place to ask... and you don't have to answer me, of course... but what exactly is your relationship with that..."

"Merman!", George cut in a little too quick. Trying to regain his composure, he added: "Merman, of course."

"Right, the... merman you came with?"

"U-uhm... Friends. Yeah, friends, of course, what else?"

Karl smiled knowingly. "Oh, complicated, I assume?" George gave in. "Yeah, complicated", he mumbled.

"Wow, who knew Prince George was gay?", Karl said, but there was no accuse or disgust in his voice, not even teasing. He just sounded deep in thought.

"I'm not gay!", George screeched, face flaming bright red. Karl shot him a thoughtful look. "Do you like him?", he asked calmly.

"I..." George backed off until his back hit a wall.

"It's okay. I won't judge, you know? You can trust me." Karl's voice was sincere and soothing. "But you don't have to tell me anything. Don't let me pressure you", he chuckled.

And maybe it was Karl's comforting and caring atmosphere or his heartfelt words, but for some reason George decided to give in and tell him everything.