Chapter 89: Map

"Hey, does anyone know what this is?"

Dream had proceeded to discover the secrets of the room they were trapped in, including the most obvious part: the huge map in the middle of the room.

It was an artwork of it's own, every single detail was lovingly elaborated. Underwater mountains and valleys were drawn, the homes of different species were marked.

In the middle of the map was a big city, the center of everything. But that was where the map ended, the floor was white behind four gigantic gates, one pointing into each geographic direction and a few messily sketched houses. Strange...

"I have no idea. This shows no place I know. I suck at geography though", George's voice said from somewhere behind him.

"Me neither", Technoblade cut in, "but maybe we can't know." "What?"

"Well", he swam closer to have a better look at the map, "this clearly shows the ocean floor. And as we all know, at a certain level neither sirens nor mermaids can breathe anymore. Although we can get a little deeper", the siren stated proudly.

"So, what do you suggest?", Dream asked.

"It's only a theory, but perhaps... the people who used this room were onto something big." His voice grew more quiet. "Maybe... a new kind of underwater species? A society like ours, but deeper?"

"I don't think so", George said. "We would've noticed them already." "But we did! This might be the proof!" Sapnap had joined the conversation.

He looked around. "There was a fight here, right? Maybe they didn't want to be discovered."

George crossed his arms in front of his chest. "That would mean that they got here - into the palace, the heart of the sirenkind society - without being discovered."

"So did you though", Sapnap replied. "Yes, because I was being hidden by a siren." "Maybe they were too", Techno argued. "After all, why hide a room like this?"

"Maybe it wasn't hidden before...", Dream mumbled, gaining the other's attention. He raised his head and looked at the walls.

"The entire space of the walls is covered in paintings", he pointed out. "This would've taken one artist decades given the size. Several must've worked on this.

Also, one person couldn't read as many books as there are in this library. I believe this used to be an open room used by many people, because how could you keep something this huge a secret?

And if this was a research project, which all of this is pointing towards, the royals would've needed money and researchers and of course, they wouldn't keep the possibility of a third, perhaps dangerous society of people that are like us a secret to the people, that is if your theory is correct.

Of course, all of this is based on assumptions, since we don't really know anything yet, but if I'm correct that leads me to the conclusion that this was a historically and politically important room.

Which would mean that a corridor as small and unspectacular as the one we came here through... can't be the only entrance."

He looked at the others. "And even if we're wrong, either way I don't believe this room has always been secret, too many people worked to create, decorate and equip it.

There has to be another way out."