Chapter 64: Masters of Manipulation

Whales is the next unit of measure for them after sunfish. A blue whale can be up to 30 meters long.

TW: Swearing?

*****************************

Dream got in trouble again. Great. Just great. If this continues, we're never gonna reach the capital city and I'm gonna be sirensitting a manbaby for the rest of my life.

Neptune, I know you hate me and I do deserve it, but this? If you're real and I ever get to meet you, I'm gonna shove some of my opinion up your ass.

"Hey, you look kinda pissed", Wilbur told George as they returned to the camp. The tour of the coral reef had been canceled.

George gave the brown haired merman a look that would've killed anyone with a weaker set of mind. Atleast it shut him up.

George groaned. Stupid siren! Honestly, maybe he should just reveal Dream's true identity so he'd get to murder him and it'd be legal. Obviously, he wasn't actually gonna do that, but it reminded him of where he was. In a group of mermen.

Dreams life was technically in his hands, since he was the only one who knew what he really was. What a great opportunity to manipulate him!

George was shocked by his own thoughts. Manipulate him? Would he actually do that if he had to? Would he... betray his friend to survive if he was faced with a choice?

He shook his head. All the trouble, being away from home and in constant danger had messed with his head. But really, would he?

Uncomfortable, George pushed the thought in the corner of his head and tried to forget it. Sure, he had imagined himself being a platonic villian sometimes, who hadn't? But in real life... George was quiete sure he could if he wanted to, like how he had shut Wilbur up. And weren't he and Dream basicially using eachother?

A thought crossed his mind. His entire childhood, he had been told the masters of manipulating were sirens. What if... all this time... Dream had been messing with him? After all, weren't sirens the enemy? What if he made George trust him on purpose so he could come home safely?

Or...

what if he had known the war would come, purposely tried to save George from the humans, purposely got caught, became his friend and was now leading the whole group into a trap so the merfolk had less soldiers?

George realized he was shivering. Maybe he was imagining too much, Dream was a good guy. Or was he just pretending to be?

And there was something else that didn't fit. They were thousands of whales away from the capital city of the siren kingdom and in a completely different ecosystem, yet Dream told him the plants he needed for that mysterious cream only grew here.

Only the royals had enough money to deliver plants freshly enough to make a cream from here to there. And Dream said it himself, he was just a normal citizen. Sure, the siren prince Clay was missing, but Dream... impossible. Right...?

George sighed. Suspecting stuff out of the blue wouldn't help right now. But should he inform Punz about it? After all, if he was right and Dream wanted to lead them into a trap, it would be his fault for keeping quiet about the sirens identity.

Then again, if he snitched on him, he'd probably be killed once he returned, which they were technically here for, weren't they?
If he even returned, which George was very worried about.

He cared about him, if he wanted to or not and he didn't want anything to happen to him.

Did that make him a traitor?, George asked himself and, to his unpleasant surprise, found himself not caring.