Chapter 65: A good King

When Dream returned, he expected George to be happy and relieved. Instead, the merman seemed careful and catious around him.

Finally, he got sick of George acting as if he was a ticking bomb that could explode any second. "Did something happen while I was gone?", he asked Wilbur, who informed him nothing had happened except for the tour of the coral reef being canceled.

"Punz is worried about you though, you should go talk to him", he adviced. "He didn't send someone out to look for me?" Dream was disappointed.

"Well, he's worried some people may use it as an opportunity to leave. He's just trying to do his job. Although I think he should calm down a bit.

I get it though", he sighed, "In this boring small city nothing ever happens. You can barely rise up and do something with your gifts.

Punz wants to prove he's a good leader and get a promotion, maybe get an actual high position in the army. I mean, how else would he get out of Merville?"

"Move", Dream suggested. Wilbur chuckled. "Move? You'd need to have a small fortune to get to a city with real opportunities. And you can't earn that around here. When you're born somewhere in the country, you stay there for the rest of your life, whether you want to or not.

I don't really mind, even though I'd love to earn money by singing. The only issue I really have with living in Merville is that nothing ever happens.

Call me sadistic, but I'm kinda glad the war happened. I can get out of this shithole for once naad who knows, maybe I'll actually get my adventure."

Wilbur's words made Dream think. Was life in the very back of the mermaid kingdom really like this? What about the sirens, was it the same? What other problems were there he didn't know of?

He had always been too busy being angry about being forced to be the heir, being forced to take over his fathers throne one day. But in reality, could it be an opportunity? It gave him the power to change something for the sirens and maybe even for the mermaids.

"Wilbur", Dream said. "Imagine I was the king. What would you tell me you'd like me to change?"

In that moment, Dream promised himself something. He wouldn't be angry about his situation anymore. He would do his best to be a great king for the sirens and he would fix all the mistakes his father had made during his reign and bring peace for the sirens and the merfolk.