Chapter 27: Friendship

TW: Captivity

*****************************

"Okay. So you know how they took me out when I was hurt?" Dream swam infront of George, trying to explain his new idea of escaping.

"Yeah?", George asked. "Well, what if we just both pretend to be hurt? Then they'll take us out and..." His voice died down. "And we won't have a chance.", George finished for him. "Also, I can't breathe outside of the water if you forgot, idiot. Seriously, if that's all we have, we'll never get out of here."

Dream seemed to be thinking of something. "When I woke up...", he mumbled. "There was this human... Maybe we can ask him for help?"

George was shocked. "You're trying to say we should trust a human to get us out of a human made prison?! Are you insane?!" "He seemed nice...", Dream mumbled. "He's just messing with you!", George hissed back. "You can't trust anyone here except for me!"

His words had a strange effect on Dream. Something changed in his positioning and his eyes got darker.

"But can I?", he asked in a calm dark voice.

That left George speechless. It took him a while to gain his voice back. "O-of course you can! What makes you think I'm not trustworthy?", he asked, still shocked.

"I'm a siren.", Dream stated casually. "You were probably raised to think I'm a monster. How can I know if you're not gonna leave me once were out of here? Or worse, use me to escape and then leave me here?"

George was taken aback by the question. "You... you actually think I'd do that?", he croaked. Dream looked him in the eyes. He was dead serious. "Yes."

"I..." George went silent. How could he make Dream see he would never ditch him? But will you really never?, a voice in the back of his head whispered. Your plan was to get out of here and then go seperate ways. "Shut up!", George hissed. "What? I didn't say anything!", Dream defended himself.

George took a deep breath. "Look... I'm sorry I made you feel this way. But I can assure you, I'll never leave you behind. You're my friend now. Friendship is very important to me, no matter which species. I may not like sirens, but you haven't done anything to me. And as my friend... you're kinda a part of my family now. I would never betray you.

Besides, I need you to get back home. Once we're there, we can think further. But until then", he swam over to Dream and pulled him into a tight hug, "I promise I'll always stay with you."