Chapter 63: Dolphins

So, since I was sick and couldn't upload on time, I wrote y'all more than double the size I usually do twice as an apology :)

*****************************

Dream loved the coral reef. All the colours, the variety... definetly his kind of group bonding activity.

George looked quite grumpy, which Dream happily ignored. He wouldn't let that merman destroy his fun.

It was almost sad he was planning on leaving the adventure to go find herbs for George's scratch that was still very visible.

Dream was a little worried the search may bring up some unpleasant memories, since every time had made the ointment he was planning to make he had done it with his mom. He didn't even know if he remembered the herbs right, maybe he'd just mess it all up. But who knew? Perhaps his mind would leave him alone.

Suddenly, George yelled: "Watch out!"

Dream turned around in surprise, only to see a flash of grey swimming towards him. Instinctively, he covered his head with his arms and closed his eyes, waiting for whatever it was to hit him.

But it didn't.

Instead, something poked his chest playfully.

Carefully, Dream opened his eyes and removed his arms. A big greyish creature with a long stretched nose and small eyes that were blinking amusedly at him was floating in front of him. A dolphin!

"Hey there buddy", Dream mumbled in awe. The dolphin made a strange noise and swam around Dream, poking his sides from time to time. Dream laughed and moved his hand over the wierdly textured skin of the animal. It made another happy noise and swam upwards. Dream followed it.

Shortly before they reached the surface, Dream found himself surrounded by more dolphins that were circling around him. From below them, the others watched with jealousy.

Dream tried counting them. Three, four,... five? No, that wasn't possible. Again. Three, four,... eight? No, even worse. It was impossible to count them at the rapid pace they were swimming at and the hopeless chaos they were creating.

As happy as it made him, Dream got dizzy turning around and around trying to get a good look at them.

Just as Dream wanted to break out of the circle to return to the others, one of the dolphins held his backfin directly under his fingers. Curious, Dream took it and suddenly found himself being carried off at an insane speed.

What the... After only a few seconds, the surprised shouting and the screams that echoed behind him couldnbe heard anymore. Dream was left with no other choice than to hang onto the fin, close his eyes and pray to whoever may be listening.

At that moment, the dolphins stopped. After Dream had recovered from neing carried that fast and his ears had stopped ringing, he took a look at his surroundings, only to find out he wasn't at the coral reef anymore.

Fear overwhelmed him. No, no, no! This had happened way too often for his taste in the last few weeks. He had nothing against a few adventures, but it was simply becoming too much for him.

Exhausted physically and mentally, he swam towards a meadow of plants and just let himself fall into it, annoyed by the world. He closed his eyes...

...and smelled something familiar.

Dream shot up. The plants... he knew them... they were used for seasoning food and healing in the siren kingdom. And you also needed them to make a special ointment that had been given from member to member in his family over centuries. The ointment he wanted to make for George!

Examining his surroundings further, he found plant after plant he needed. Surprised, he turned around to the group of dolphins that was waiting for him. "Thank you! You guys are the best!", he exclaimed, beaming like a happy toddler. The dolphins made their signature clicķing sound in response, as if they wanted to say: "You're welcome!"

Around lunchtime, Dream had collected enough herbs. The dolphins politely showed him the way back before leaving. He bid them goodbye with a very formal but the situation strangely fitting: "Thank you for the journey."
Then, he returned to the camp.