Chapter 79: Why would you name me Clay?

TW: Blood, Swearing, Mentions of Dreamnoblade Friendship, Mentions of Betrayal, Trauma and Death

*****************************

Time seemed to have stopped.
The sword slowly drifted towards the ground until finally hitting it softly. Not breaking eye contact with Techno, Dream carefully lifted his arms up and put them behind his head.

"I mean no harm", he said, loud and clear.

Technoblade swam there in silence for a second. To Dream, it felt like an eternity. Would he accept his peace offering or was Dream going to die by the hand of his best friend?

Finally, Techno picked the sword up.
"Why?", he asked, still suspicious.

"Because", Dream looked around to make sure nobody was listening, "because I'm DreamWasTaken."

It was quiet for a moment, the only sound being distant fighting.

Then Techno burst out laughing. "You're Dream, of course. And I'm the king of merfolk!"

After he was done laughing, he took his sword and held it to Dream's throat. "I'll let you off this time, because you haven't tried to hurt me in any way. However", he made a small cut, just enough for a few drops of blood to come out, "I hate liars." And with that, he turned around and left Dream alone in the corridor.

Shivering, Dream touched the cut on his throat, just a little above his mother's necklace. As much as he loved him, Techno could be very intimidating.

"Your highness!" All of a sudden, Sam appeared behind Dream, grabbing his arm and pulling him along. Before he could react, Dream already found himself in the safe room along with his father and a few maids and servants from the castle.

Shit, what now? His friends were still out there and now he was stuck down here while they might be getting killed just a tail's length above him! But there was no excuse for him to leave now...

A quiet humming interrupted his racing mind. "What do you have there?", his father asked in a demanding voice from behind him. Dream winced and took off he necklace, hiding it in his hand, before turning around to face his father with a smile. "Nothing", he lied.

Unfortunatily, JSchlatt wasn't that easy to lie to. He grabbed his arm and took the necklace from his hand. "Why the fuck do you you still have this?!", he asked, furious about his discovery. "Why not?", Dream replied angrily, "she was my mother, you know? And as much as you want to erase her existance from history, she will always be the woman who created me!"

"Enough with this nonsense!" JSchlatt threw the necklace against the wall in rage. "I should've destroyed that thing ages ago!" He picked it up and tried to rip it apart.

Dream froze. The necklace was the only thing he had left from his mother. In that second, nothing else mattered. He swam past Sam, pulled his sword off the root across his chest and swung it towards his father, stopping just a milisecond before it hit him. Shocked, his father looked up to

the sword hovering above him and back at his son. "Clay", he whispered quietly.

Without lowering the sword, Dream took the necklace. "You could've really picked a more creative name", he mumbled under his breath and backed away, still holding the sword, years of abuse, negligence and bottled up anger burning in his eyes, until his back hit something hard.

The person behind him grabbed his arm, easily took the sword from his hand despite his struggles and put it to his throat.