Chapter 25: Invention (Special POV again!)

TW: Mentions of captivity?

*****************************

"What are you doing?"

Chris winced and hid his project behind him. "Nothing, just... building a new toy for my niece", he lied. His colleague smiled. "Great, can you make one for my daughter too?" "Uh... yeah sure..." "Thanks man!" He left.

Chris breathed out in relief. No one could know what he was building. He still didn't really have an idea how to save those fishhumans, but he already had a feeling he was gonna need this new invention that he was building right now.

It worked a bit like an oxygen mask, but with water. He knew one of those sea creatures couldn't breathe outside of the water, so he made this. After being activated, it would stick to the mermans face and fill itself with water. Then it would start moving back and forth to make the gills work. He didn't know how to do that part yet though. It would also need a cable to work, which wasn't very good.

The reason he didn't want anyone to find out what he was building was that they'd immediatly take the poor creature out of the water to get a closer look at its body.

Chris could still remember how they had flooded his office when he had the other one under narcosis. He had ended up pushing them out of the door while yelling at them, which he was still kinda proud of.

He sighed. This mask was a good idea, but the actual building part was hard and it also wasn't quite something Chris had learned to do. His attempts were rather poor, nothing was working. If he actually wanted to do this, he was gonna need help. But who could he ask on this ship full of biologists?

Chris groaned and buried his face into his hands. The thought conversation he had had with that guy earlier crossed his mind. He said he was building a toy for his niece...

Suddenly he knew what to do. His niece studied mechanical engineering in the second semester. Not that his colleague knew that...

Chris grabbed the plans for the mask and his computer. He would write an email. Hopefully the answer would come soon enough...