Chapter 45: I can't

TW: Mentions of war

*****************************

"If you wanna swim as far as you can on one day, you're not gonna have time for hunting", Hannah said, handing George a package that smelled wonderful. "Thank you, I don't know how we can ever repay you", he said honestly.

She smiled. "No, it's fine. You're the first one to actually accept me in a long time, this is the best I can do for you. Good luck with finding the others."

George nodded and wanted to swim out to Dream, who was waiting infront of the door, wearing his disguise. He looked stupid, but atleast probably no one would try to bother "the wierdos".

"Oh, George, one last thing", Hannah said. The merman turned around. "Yeah?" "Invite me please when you marry the siren." And with that, she pushed George out the door.

Outside, Dream was talking to some mermaid who was beaming brightly at him, a blush on her cheeks.

George immediatly forgot what Hannah had said. Is she flirting with him? A strange feeling elaborated in his chest and he swam over to the two.

Dream turned around and beamed at him. "Hey, George!"
Taken aback by the sudden change in his actions, George eyed him carefully.

"Help me please", Dream whispered. George nodded, the feeling leaving his chest again.

"Actually", he said, grabbing Dreams wrist and pulling him backwards, "we need to leave now. You know, army things." Without waiting for an answer, he pulled Dream away. "Thanks..." "No problem."

The two of them swam a long time in silence, until George decided to break the ice. "Your name is Dream, right?"

The siren looked up, confused. "Yeah, why?" "Just wondering... it's a rather unusual name. How did you get it?"

"Ah... well... As you know, it's not my real name, more like a nickname, but everyone calls me Dream nowadays.

It's because I've always believed in peace. They all said it was stupid and that I was a hopeless dreamer, and I kinda had to agree with that, so they started calling me Dream and I didn't stop it. It does describe me pretty well.

Sometimes... sometimes I forget that it's not my real name. Because... if I could decide who I want to be, I'd always choose Dream over Clay." For a moment, he sank deep into his thoughts.

George was stunned. There was so much more behind that pretty name than he had thought. A fighter for peace... Exatly what we need these days, even though it's rather hopeless. But that doesn't mean we can't try.

"I don't think it's stupid", he mumbled. Dream looked up in surprise. "I think it's really brave." It was silent for a moment, until George spoke again.

"I... I used to think you sirens were happy with the war. That you were heartless monsters who only cared about themselves. It seems like I was wrong." He smiled at Dream, who'se gaze hardened.

"Not everyone is like me... but probably more than you think.

Tell me, George... are you... gonna think of sirens as monsters again once we're home? Are you... gonna forget about me? Will you keep on not caring about sirens and wars? Or are you gonna try to change something?

Can you change the merfolks minds about us sirens?"

George kept quiet for a moment, stunned by the questions.

"I... I don't think I can... I am not that powerful...", he said quietly. I may be the prince, but I am not powerful at all. My voice isn't heard in the palace.

Dreams eyebrows furrowed and suddenly he looked tired and so... disappointed. Sadness spread across his features, the most horrifying thing George had ever seen. "I... understand...", he mumbled and Georges heart broke by how hopeless he sounded. Then, he turned his face away from George and swam far ahead, not listening to the merman calling out for him.