Chapter 59: Tired

If you enjoy reading this story, please let me know through voting :)

*****************************

"Alright, we'll reach the next city, Coral View, by sunset if we keep this pace", Punz announced.
Some of the others sighed in relief.

Dream worriedly looked over to George, who seemed like he would pass out any minute. He definetly couldn't make it that long!

He was swimming slower and slower and Dream had to pull him sometimes so they wouldn't lose the group.

It was understandable, George hadn't slept since... Dream froze in shock. "You haven't slept since we left the humans?!" George blinked dazedly at him. "Maybe, I don't know...", he trailed off.

"George, it's been two days!" "Has it...?" "Yes, we escaped with the help of the humans at night, reached Merville during the day, found the shipwreck, then I left and slept with the others... and you spend all night looking for me!" How was he even still swimming? Especially at this pace!

"So?", George pouted. "I-I..." Dream ruffled his hair in frustration. "Why didn't you say anything? That's not healthy!"

Suddenly, Dream realized George wasn't by his side anymore. Alarmed, he looked back to see an unconcious George drifting towards the ground. The siren immediatly swam back to his friend and caught him before he hit the ground.

It took him a second to realize he was just sleeping. "Stupid merman...", Dream mumbled softly.

He still couldn't get over the peaceful look on George's face when he was sleeping. The flow moved the messy brown hair away from his closed eyes. A few almost invisible freckles decorated his angelic face features and the corners of his mouth were lifted upwards just a bit, forming a small, content smile. His gills moved slowly.

Dream felt like time had stopped. He could swim here forever and get lost in the look, discovering every single detail of George's face until the merman would open his beautiful eyes, one brown like Dreams new favourite food, the brown bullhead, one blue like the ocean, perfect to sink in and never return.

He could feel his heartbeat from where he was holding him, his arm. This beat was everything to Dream and he would die to keep it going, he realized.

He remembered what his mother had told him once: "One day, you'll meet someone you always wanna be around. You're gonna wanna know what she does, what she likes, who she likes being around. You're gonna make stupid decisions, just to make her happy.

She'll be your everything, to the point where you'd die for her. Promise me something, Clay. Promise me... when you find this woman... never let her go again. Marry her. Support her. Take care of her. Love her."

"You wnat me to marry someone who messes with my head, chains me to themselves and makes me become suicidal?", little Dream had asked.

His mother had laughed. "One day you'll understand."

Thank you, mom, Dream thought, still looking at the sleeping merman in his arms. I understand now.