Chapter 74: Father and Son

May rename this chapter later idk

TW: Mentions of Manupulation, War, Murder and Suicide

*****************************

"You're lying. Mom killed herself because of you!"

"Don't you understand? That's what they want you to believe!
They want the sirens to hate me because I killed their beloved queen so our kingdoms strenght crumbles like a house made of sand, because what is a kingdom without a trustworthy king?"

The old man got up, swam over to Dream and placed his hands on his son's shoulders and buried his head in his neck. Dream was extremely uncomfortable, he didn't know if he should shake him off. They hadn't been this close in years.

"Merfolk soldiers broke in one night. They killed your mother and made it look like she killed herself. We found their scales in her room."

He took a shivering breath and closed his eyes, as if trying to remember a memory buried in the farthest corner of his mind. "I..." His voice broke. "I couldn't protect her."

Dream's mind was spinning. The merfolk was responsible for his mother's death?

He sighed and did something so strange, so unbelievable considering their entire past he didn't just surprise all the guards and servants in the room but himself too. He hugged his father, the first time since... he couldn't even remember.

When he let go again, he wiped a tear out of his eye and silently promised himself that this would be the last tear he would ever cry for his mother's death. "Don't worry", he said grimmly, "the merfolk will pay."

Suddenly, an image popped into his head. A certain merman standing in front of him, yelling at another merman, shielding Dream's body with his own, a memory that wasn't even a few days old.

"But you have to promise me something." "What?" His father looked up, confused. "There is one special merman. I want him untouched." "What, are you getting weak now? Don't forget what they did!" "I haven't! He's..."

An idea popped into his head.

"He could be useful."