Chapter 75: What now?

"So, what did you want to talk about?", George asked innocently.

"Don't play dumb", Punz answered, it was obvious he was mad. "George, look me in the eyes and tell me you didn't know the man you traveled with for weeks."

"Are you gonna ask everyone that?" "You were the closest to him." "Touché. But", George looked into the purple eyes of the blonde merman in front of him. "I really didn't know."

He was surprised how easy the lie came over his lips. Then again, deep inside he had always prepared himself for a moment like this, ever since he had realized how much the siren meant to him.

Punz didn't look convinced, but had to let him go due to lack of proof. And strangely, George didn't regret one word of his lie, not as long as Dream's safety was the reason for it.

Wierd, hadn't he decided that the siren wasn't trustworthy and had somehow gotten him to drink a love potion?

Looking back now that Dream was gone, that theory seemed really stupid. And hadn't there always been honesty in his eyes?

He sighed. Dream was gone. What now? Should he try to leave and find him? Or trust that he would be fine on his own?

No matter what he would do, both were a risk, if he went to find Dream he could die and if he stayed the siren might die.

Neptune, all of this was so complicated! He was the second prince, thinking was usually Skeppy's task. Not that he was very good at it either.

Hadn't he promised to always stay by Dream's side? That night on the human ship seemed so far away... and yet, he had never broken this promise, had he? So why should he now?

Then again, maybe it would be easier to save Dream as the prince? No, that was stupid, when they would arrive he could already be dead. Now what?

"Hey", a voice greeted from behind him. George turned around and spotted Wilbur coming towards him. "How'd it go? Are you arrested?" "Do you see anything jail-related?"

"Right. So, what did you say? Because I'm about to be questioned too." "You don't look nervous though."

"Yeah, well", Wilbur grinned, "if even you made it, I think I'll be fine. Then again, I don't have a lover waiting for me if I make it."

"What do you mean, "even" me? And I don't have a lover! Never have, never will." "Oh, so you're saving your virginity for Dream?", Wilbur asked teasingly, to which George responded with a salvation of not very nice angry-flustered insults.

Neither of them noticed Punz swimming a few tails away watching them.

"A merman and a siren... A lot of potential, good and bad.

Who knows how that'll end..."