Chapter 96: Hey, Dad

As he was observing the old king, who was sitting on his throne speaking to some mermen who were probably important generals or something given their clothes, Dream thought about George's relationship with his father. Was it as difficult as his was with his father?
Well, they were about to find out.

The guard cleared his throat. "I'm busy", the king responded in an annoyed voice without even bothering to look their way.
"This is more important", the merman insisted.
"I doubt that."

George took a deep breath, swam to the front and took off his hood. A general who was looking their way made a suffocating noise. A servants chin dropped.

Finally, the king turned his head their way.

His eyes widened. "George?" His voice was almost silent. "Hey, dad", George said quietly. The king of the merfolk cried. He cried. As he closed his arms around his son as if he never wanted to let go, Dream felt a wierd suffocating pain in his chest, knowing his father would never hug him like that.

After what felt like an eternity later, the king let George go again. "Somebody get Mary and Skeppy", he ordered. "Their brother is back." George chuckled through tears. Right, he has siblings, Dream remembered.

"Why don't you introduce your friends to me while we wait for them?", the king asked, dismissing the generals he had been talking to with a small movement of his hand.

"Uh, yeah...", George trailed off. "Uhm, this is..." Helplessly, he looked at Dream.

Thankfully, the shop owner guy responded eagerly: "I'm Ralph! It is such an honor to finally meet you, your majesty! I was the one who found your son. He was at the market hooking u-"

"Talking to", George cut in, glaring at the merman. "Right?" "No- but you were-" "I was talking to my friend Dream here, who managed to safely bring me all the way from north-southly of Merville back here. He even saved my life."

"Several times...", Dream mumbled quietly. Louder, he said: "It's an honor to meet you, your majesty."

Well, this was certainly not how I expected me meeting his parents to go like.