Chapter 115: Hole

Damn, this was a therapeutic chapter to write 😅

TW: Fear of being left alone, Neglection, Mentions of Death, Depression, Fear of Failure?

*****************************

After his exausting search for the secret of the hidden cave, Dream decided he would put the map he'd drawn to use. Scanning over the drawing of all the different tunnels, he soon realized just leaving wasn't gonna take his mind off of things.

Lately everything seemed so overwhelming, the war and the rebellion...

It wouldn't feel that way if George was by his side.

George... who had ran away from him. Like everyone.

Why couldn't anyone ever stay with him? Why was he doomed to be left alone, thrown away like a piece of trash by everyone whom he had ever loved? George was only the tip of an iceberg of feelings he had bottled up inside. His mother, maid Puffy, his father, George... everyone.

Why...?

Why did everyone leave him eventually? Was he... just not good enough? Was he maybe simply not worthy of their love and time? But he couldn't change himself, he didn't want to change himself...!

How could he make them stay? Why wasn't he good enough? Why was the person he simply was and liked being not good enough for the others?

His entire life, Dream had told himself it didn't matter. That it was their fault if they left him, if they didn't love him for who he was, because in the end, it'd be them losing. But that just didn't work out.

Without love, a being withers away until there's just nothing left of it, his teacher had told him once. And he had been withering away, feeling numb and uncaring all day, every day. Until... well, George.

Dream had already forgotten what it was like feeling such strong emotions. And so many of them at the same time! George, the annoying merman had made his heart beat faster, had given him a purpose. And unknowingly pulled him out of that endless hole he had been sucked into without any hope to ever escape again.

And now... George had left him too. He had been all Dream needed, he didn't care about his father or the knights and servants at the castle, George's company would've been all he'd need to be happy. Was that too much to ask?