Chapter 110: Realization

TW: Mentions of Trust Issues?

*****************************

"Wow...", Karl trailed off. "I mean, I knew there was something strange going on between you two... and not gonna lie, I knew he was a siren... but... I didn't know it was this complicated..."

"I know..." George sighed. If it was anything, their relationship was complicated. If there even was any now...

"And... you just left him there?" "Yeah", George admitted.

Karl kept quiet for a second. He seemed to have quite a hard time processing his friend's story.

Then he sighed. He took George's hands and looked him straight in the eyes. The blue-tailed merman was surprised by how serious the look in his light brown eyes was. Calm and yet fierce.

"Do you love him?"

Nothing else, just that single question. It caught George off guard.

"I..."

"Don't think, just tell me how you feel."

George turned his head away and faced the floor. "I do...", he mumbled almost soundlessly.

The confession almost surprised him. But the longer he thought about it, the more he realized how every single one of their moments had build up to this. It was like bright red lettering and a booming voice at the same time. How could I have been so stupid?

He remembered the first time they met. Well, really met in a memorable way. With two glass walls and about a finger's lenght of air between them.

He remembered the exact shade Dream's eyes had been. All the emotions in his eyes. Surprise, amusement, curiosity. And a light blush, almost invisible, coloring his freckled cheeks.

He had been mesmerized. And he still was, seeing the siren as clearly as if he was right in front of him.

George might've not realized back then, but he did now.

That exact second, he had already fallen for him.

Back then, Dream had been the first one to put his hand on the walls keeping them apart, the reason George had noticed his extra fins in the first place.

He had reached out first.

And now that they weren't speaking because of George's foolish fear, he realized he would have to be the first one to reach out this time, in hopes Dream would still want to be with him.