Chapter 8: Discovery

TW: Captivity, Mentions of Death

*****************************

George opened his eyes. I'm not dead...? Or am I? He looked around. Well, if this is heaven, it's pretty ugly. And small. Wait a second, I'm breathing. So I'm alive?

He turned to the left, just to see the merman staring directly into his eyes. George jumped backwards out of surprise and hit his head on an invisible wall. He rubbed his head and looked over to the other merman, who seemed to be surpressing his laugh.

George crossed his arms. Does this mean I'm stuck here? With him? Amazing. He rolled his eyes. Wait, where even is 'here'? George observed his surroundings further, but couldn't really find an answer.

Two humans came up to them, talking. One of them was a redheaded male wearing a green jacket. The other one was an older female in a yellow jacket. They stopped in front of the tanks. George remembered he had seen them the day before, when he got captured.

Oh, right, we were caught by humans, he thought. Wait a second, we were caught by humans! Panic started flooding him, he banged on the invisible wall, but it wouldn't move.

The other merman knocked onto his glass, successfully grabbing George's attention. He pointed at the walls with his fingers, knocked again and shook his head. It took George a while to understand, what he was saying. He had already tried breaking it and it didn't work. George's shoulders sank.

Then he noticed the others tail moving wierd, almost as if it hurt. When he inspected the tail further, he noticed little fins on it's sides. A shock ran through his whole body.

He looked up to see the other looking at the humans infront of them. It wasn't easy to see behind his blonde hair, but he also had little fins behind his ears and on his arms. A few scales were shattered across his whole body, especially on his shoulders and the part where the tail and the upper body joined looked way smoother than a mermaid's.

George backed away as far as he could in the little tank. The other turned to face him, a questioning look in his eyes.

George shivered. He had seemed so friendly when they first met!

What's wrong?, the other mouthed. George stayed silent for a minute, still processing his discovery. Then he finally answered.

You are a siren.