Chapter 70: Wilbur's Decision

TW: Cursing

*****************************

"A what?"

The head belonged to Wilbur.

A loud alarm sounded in George's head, deafening him. Please tell me this didn't just happen. Please tell me I didn't just blow Dream's cover! "I-I... A..." Shit, what do I say? What word sounds like siren?!

Too late.

Wilbur swam over to Dream and ripped the human bags that were covering his extra scales and fins off. He let out a sharp gasp.

The world seemed to have stopped. The only thing moving were the colourful bags which were slowly floating towards the ground.

George shivered, tears started forming in his eyes. He just had destroy it all, hadn't he? And the worst part was that he wouldn't even be the one facing the consequences.

"I-I..." Dream looked like he had just shrunken atleast ten fingers. Suddenly, he looked so lost and... vulnerable, nothing compared to his usual loud, confident self. And the look in his eyes... hurt, scared, sad, but the worst part... betrayed.

George wanted to scream at the top of his lungs that it was an accident, that he never meant to reveal him. But he just swam there in silence.

Wilbur took a deep breath. "You're a siren", he stated calmly. "Yes", Dream answered, facing the ground. "I am."

Wilbur seemed deep in thought for a second, before he asked: "Then what are you doing here?" Dream perked up, visibly surprised. "I..."

"He saved my life!" George had swam in front of him, opening his arms in a protective way, shielding Dream's vody with his own. "I'm the reason he's here."

"Continue", Wilbur instructed, seeming interested in the full picture.

"He was trying to save from being kidnapped by the humans, but then we both ended up being caught", George began, taking a deep breath befire explaining the entire story to Wilbur.

"...and he hasn't left me behind ever since, always doing his best to make sure I'll be okay."

A moment of unsure silence followed. George was internally praying Wilbur wouldn't do anything. There were so many mermen here, they could kill Dream within a second.

If he told anyone, neither of them would come out of here alive, George realized. By helping an enemy in times of war, hadn't he comitted an unforgivable crime? Wasn't he... a traitor?

"We just wanna get home safely, please", he begged. What if he never saw Mary, Skeppy and his dad again? Or his friends? Life or death, it was now Wilbur's decision.

The merman sighed. "Dream." "Yes...?" "You seem like good, honest guy to me. If the story you just told me is true, then it's not your fault you're here. And you can't just change who you are. The story seems valid to me", he turned towards George, "because I live with Phil and Puffy.

And", he turned towards Dream again, "the things you told me seemed honest. Those feelings you expressed appeared real to me.

But, fuck...", he ran a hand through his hair, "if anyone finds out, we're all doomed."