Chapter 37: Fail

TW: Captivity, panic, breathing struggle

*****************************

"Are you sure about this, Dream?" Dream turned around to face George with a reassuring smile. "As sure as I can be!", he said. In reality, he was everything but sure. But they had to risk it.

Instinctively he touched the still glowing necklace. He had covered it up as good as he could to make sure George wouldn't notice.

"Alright..."

They were swimming close to the surface. George turned around and swam to the other side of the pool, then he turned around and mumbled something. "What did you say?" "Nothing... are you ready?" "Yes!"

George swam and Dream realized he had definetly underestimated how fast mermen were. He quickly resituated himself so he could throw George like they had planned.

George came, Dream grabbed his waist and threw him, but not exactly like they had planned. In the most important moment a green light blinded both of them from behind.

Dream turned around to see if it still worked and his blood froze. It did not work. George was laying on the ground, holding his right shoulder, panic in the eyes. Dream cursed. What was he supposed to do now?!

He could survive outside of the water, so maybe he could find a way to help George when he was by his side. Without thinking further, Dream grabbed the side of the pool and yeeted himself over the edge. A sharp pain numbed him for a second when he landed beside George but he didn't care.

George was holding his breath, but Dream saw he couldn't make it much longer. Panicking, the siren looked around. He knew he'd never be able to throw George over the railing into the sea, but he also couldn't just get him back into the tank since it was way too high.

His mind was racing as he held George, who was now gasping for air in his arms.

Footsteps, two human voices. Dream would have never thought he'd find those sounds relieving one day, but here he was.