Chapter 44: The idea

Heterochromic: two different coloured eyes

TW: Mentions of war and it's results, slight panic attack?

*****************************

Dream was bored, so he had started drawing smiles in the sand, the symbol on his mask, which he missed a lot. It was like a part of him was missing and he felt sort of naked not being able to cover up his face and emotions whenever needed.

But the mask wasn't that easy to get back. It was made out of white coloured wood, which had already had the form Dream wanted it to have when he found it and it was unique.

The sound of a person swimming closer threw Dream back into reality and he hid behind the hill, hoping they wouldn't see him. But then he spot the guy and realized it was George. Relieved, he left his hideout.

But... something seemed wrong. George was swimming very fast, as if there was something chasing him. He looked terrified. He almost swam Dream over when he reached him and then hugged him very tightly.

"Hey, woah. Are you okay?" Dream asked, surprised by the sudden contact and froze, when he saw tears swimming in the mermans beautiful heterochromic eyes.

"We're at war, Dream...", George whispered into his chest.

"Wh-what? What do you mean?" George let go of him, wiped his eyes and sniffled. "The mermaid and siren kingdom are at war", he stated, voice trembling.

A shock ran through Dreams whole body. "What? Where did you get that from?", he asked, not wanting to believe it. "A new friend of mine, Hannah, told me. It all makes sense, Dream. The town looks empty, because almost all men left yesterday to go fight for their country. The people on the streets look down and the atmosphere is sad, because they don't who will come back."

"No..." A strange numbness succumbed his body as the message sank in.

War. Thousands of dead and wounded people, traumatized children, destroyed citys, weakness for both countries, so they could be taken over by anyone and much more horrible things he didn't want to think about. Exactly what he and the rebels had tried to stop from happening.

But the worst thing of all, he felt guilty. What if this my fault? What if my disappearence caused this? I'm the siren prince after all. Father may hate me, but I'm still the heir. The kingdoms have been enemies for centuries, but what if this is the drop that made everything overflow?

"Dream!" George's yelling threw him out of his trance. "It's not too late yet! We can still stop it!"

"What...? How?" "Well, if they just left yesterday, we could try catching up with them. Then we'll say we were, I don't know, on vacation when they left and get home under their protection. And when we're there..." He didn't finish the sentence.

"I agree, let's do this."

Dream gritted his teeth. He was probably gonna say, "then we'll have to fight", but Dream had other plans.

Then I'll stop this.