Chapter 39: Pride

TW: Mentions of captivity and war

*****************************

"Alright. I take the head, you take the tail and then we'll lift him back into the tank. And watch out for the green gremlin, you know he bites."

Elizabeth, Chris' boss, had immediatly caught up after a second of shock and was now fully back in the leadership role, which she held on this ship for an obvious reason. Chris already started fulfilling her order when he suddenly remembered why he was even out here.

This was his one and probably only chance, since the guy who wanted them would come very soon and they had to have time to get far enough away to not get caught again. If he wanted them to be free, he had to act now, even though it might cost his job. And if there was even the slightest chance he could still save them he would have to risk it.

"No."

Elizabeth looked up to him as if he had gone crazy. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me."

The woman, who was around a head smaller then him, slowly rose to to her full height. "He's dying", she snarled, pointing at the merman, who was already almost as blue as his scales. "I know", Chris said, trying to ignore the eyes of the other one burning holes in his head.

"I mean, we should throw them into water, just not in the tank. They belong into the sea."

His eyes met hers and he crossed his arms infront of his chest.

"If you wanna throw them back, go on. But I'm not helping you. We're supposed to be researchers, not businessmen or animal abusers. We should protect them  not sell them. Don't you understand that this against everything we stand for?"

It was silent for a second after he said that, the only sounds the wind, the waves, some seagulls and the panicking noises of the green fishhuman.

I guess I just lost my job and probably also my freedom, Chris thought, a strange feeling slowly flooding his body. Pride.

"If you know you'll go down, do it with flying colours", his grandfather, who had fought in World War 2, had once told him. This was kind of a different situation, but the same feeling.

Chris closed his eyes and waited for the thunderstorm of a rant, in which he would, pridefully, go down.