Chapter 73: King and Prince

TW: Mentions of Neglection, Discrimination, War and Death?

*****************************

"Clay."

When Dream returned home, he didn't expect his father to come flying towards him with open arms and tears in his eyes, but he didn't expect him to look him up and down and pretend nothing happened either.

Right now it felt exactly like every other time he had been requested by his father.

The meeting would start with a simple "Clay", to which Dream would respond with "Your Highness", because his Schlatt didn't like to be reminded of the fact that he was Dream's father. Apparently, Dream hadn't "proved himself enough to deserve to be called his son".

Then it would continue with questions from the king's side and answers from the prince's side. Unless Dream couldn't answer one of the questions, he would be dismissed soon.

But not this time, it seemed.

Although King JSchlatt was sitting calmly on his throne, Dream knew him just well enough to see the anger boiling underneath, meaning he would have to be very careful and consider the possible outcomes each one of his words may have. He closed his eyes and waited for the tsunami to hit him.

"What the hell were you thinking?! Where even were you?! Did you ever think about the consequences of your actions?!" Yep, there it was. He wished George was here.

George. The adorable sassy merman he would have never met if he hadn't disobeyed his selfish father...

Dream opened his eyes, no longer the obedient little son. He had been through too much to keep on playing that role, even if the entire world would hate him for it.

"I was in the mermaid kingdom", he stated proudly. "And you know what? It was fucking awesome.

The people are so much nicer than anyone I've ever met within these walls and they judge so much less even though for them, I'm the outcast wearing the wierd human objects and here I'm the prince. You have no idea what they're like!

And I know you've only waited for an opportunity to attack them and destroy everything they love. Even though I disobeyed you, you still found a way to use me again.

But", he took a deep breath and glared straight into his fathers shocked eyes, "I won't let you do this. I won't let you destroy these wonderful kind people that haven't done anything to you or us or the sirens in centuries.

Just because you were taught ro hate them like your father was before you and his father was before him, you attack an innocent peace-loving folk and continue a war that should have died with our great-great-great-great grandparents. Wake up, dad! What have they ever done to you?"

The king was silent for a minute, studying the ugly stone floor as if it were Dream's inner organs. He seemed to be in shock. Then, he sighed and suddenly looked so much older.

"They took my wife."