Chapter 122: Skeppy's Fate(?)

TW: War, Mentions of Death, Skephalo?

*****************************

George had never felt so conflicted in his whole life and yet so numb. He was still in shock after Skeppy's revelation.

How could his father allow that?! What if something happened to his brother on the battlefield, what if... he never returned?

Then again, these were probably the same questions all the other families in the kingdom with sons, brothers, husbands, friends and so on who would be forced to fight in this war were asking themselves.

It wasn't fair! And yet it was somehow. George knew what his father had said was true. Of course the kingdom wouldn't accept all of their beloved young men to have to go to war, but not the king's son. It made sense... but George wished it wouldn't.

Two days had passed since Skeppy's revelation. He hadn't left yet, but he was bound to in the next few days. While everyone was worried and on edge, the two people it had hit the hardest aside from George were Mary, their little sister, and Badboyhalo, Skeppy's... boyfriend? George wasn't sure.

Both siblings had requested an audience with their father to change Skeppy's fate, but neither one had worked. Mary had even caused a bit of trouble because her attempt had ended with her screaming and throwing a tantrum. She was still a child, after all.

But the fact that she was so upset about Skeppy being in danger and potentially getting killed showed how much she actually cared for him. Deep down they all did, no matter how little they showed it.

Bad on the other hand was almost the opposite. He was quiet and hid away in his room all day when he didn't have to work and he had even asked not to have to serve during meals anymore.

George thought it was stupid. Skeppy's fate was sealed and instead of sulking, Bad should spend as much time with him as he could. But perhaps the thought of his potential death was too much of a burden to carry while looking Skeppy in the eyes for Bad.

The only thing George had found out could be done was for another royal child to take his place, the people hadn't specified who should be sent into the army.

But Mary was still a child. And George... well... George didn't want to. Who would like to go to war? But somehow it made him feel guilty, the fact that he had the power to change Skeppy's fate and yet, he wouldn't.

Or like Karl had put it: "Could you really forgive yourself if he died on the battlefield, knowing you could've changed that outcome?"

But George knew Skeppy would have a much higher chance at survival than him. Atleast, that was what he told everyone. In reality, George simply couldn't be bothered, could he?