Chapter 98: Anything but a Man

TW: Homophobic, Mentions of War

*****************************

The king pulled George out of the throne room into the corridor.

"So... what's up?", George asked uncomfortably, realizing this was the first time he could remember he had been alone with his father. Ever.

"Do you like him?"

George was taken aback by the sudden question. "I- uh... No, of course not."

"Don't lie to me. I saw the way you two looked at eachother. Only lovers look at eachother that way."

George's heart was pounding hardly in his chest. He's right, he thought. Do I like him? ...What if I did? Would it matter? Would it make a difference to you?

The king sighed. "You know I only want what's best for you, right?"

George looked up in surprise.

"If you really did, then where have you been?", he asked quietly.

"I... I admit I've been... distant. But I love you, George, I really do. And as your father... I need to show you that whatever you two have going on there is never going to work out. You know that, right?"

Yes, George thought. No!, his heart was screaming. Oh, you don't even know, dad... He's a siren. If he was only a man, perhaps we could've made it work. But a siren...

Tears were prickling in George's eyes as he answered.
"...Yes. I know."

The king nodded.

"I'm sorry, father. It wasn't my choice to like him."

"I know", the king murmured, looking deep in thought. He ran a hand through his hair. "We've had a lot of trouble here, you know. People say, a king should fight at the front. But I'm far too old for that, I wouldn't last a day. So everybody's speculating whether Skeppy's going to. I don't want that, but... the kingdom needs a strong king.

And what does a strong king need? A queen. George, you have no idea how many messages I've received about if Skeppy already has someone in mind to marry or if he was in need of someone."

He looked up to George with an almost pleading look in his eyes. "Please, George, anyone, but not a man.

You can't love a man."