Chapter 117: Always the same

TW: Neglection

*****************************

Dream was feeling exhausted. He flopped down onto his sleeping nest and sighed.

He remembered how he had been sent to his room after a fight with his father a few minutes ago. All he wanted was for things to change and he was one of the few in the kingdom who should be in the position to be able to! Yet, his opinions mattered to nobody. So he had revolted.

During a meeting after his father shrugged off one of his ideas with a simple "Why don't you let the experienced adults take care of this?", Dream's thin thread of patience had snapped.

He had told his father and everyone else in the meeting all about how he was sick of being overheard and belittled and asked him how he was ever supposed to be a good king if he was never allowed to gain any experience.

Well, it was safe to say anyone else would have been disowned after a fight like that.

Anyone else... but not Dream, as he was the only suitable heir available.

Somehow, that seemed to be all he was to everyone else. A little puppet to sit on a side throne and wave, "the future heir" - nothing more than a theorectical construct, carried out by an obedient boy without opinions.

Dream chuckled. His father really couldn't have gotten anyone worse for that kind of role. Because he was not planning on quietly sitting in a corner while his people were dying for his father's delusions.

Okay, well, that wasn't as correct as Dream would like it to be, they weren't really delusions. Sadly, the sirens actually did have a good chance to overthrow the merfolk, which had blossomed in peace during the time of armistice while the sirens had been preparing this new attack. Hence, the rebellion.

Because while the merfolk's growing wealth could be seen everywhere in their infrastructures and in the general wellbeing of the people, the siren's had invested in their military and the wellbeing of their king alone, what the rebellion had been trying to reveal. But as both kingdoms shut eachother out, there had been few things to compare to.

Dream sighed. Admittedly, he had enjoyed the fight a little bit, being able to let all the emotions out he had been bottling up inside for so long.

But it felt like there wasn't going to be any progress. Nothing would change. It never did. This wasn't the first time they had fought over this topic and it always ended the same. He'd be forced to stay in his room for a while, eventually, everyone would forget and things would go back to normal. Like they always did.

Day by day, year by year, until eventually, his father would pass away and Dream would finally become king, although knowing his father, some sort of catch would be awaiting him once he actually inherited the throne, because the king didn't approve of the way he was going to rule this kingdom. But until then, everything would stay the same.

Normally, Dream wouldn't care, because during these days after the fights, he could focus entirely on the rebellion, but the merfolk couldn't wait until he was king.

He would have to do something, but everything he had thought of until now involved one person.

George.