Chapter 41: Back in the sea

TW: Breathing struggles, Mentions of death, Swearing

*****************************

When Dream was thrown into the sea, there was nothing but bubbles for a minute.

His first thought was George.

When the bubbles finally vanished, it took Dream's eyes a while to get used to the darkness of the sea again after they had seen nothing but bright sunlight for more than a week. He looked around, eyes searching desperatly for the merman he had grown to adore so much.

Suddenly, he spot him lying on the sandy floor a few meters under him. A cold shiver ran down Dreams spine. He... he isn't... dead... is he?

The siren rushed down to feel Georges heartbeat. It was still there, but faint.

He needs to breathe!

Dream grabbed Georges hands and started pulling him through the water to make the gills work. And they did. After only a few minutes, Georges tail started moving, first slowly, then stronger and stronger until Dream let go of his hands.

George opened his eyes. "D-dream...? What happened?" Suddenly, the realization hit the merman. "We're... we're in the sea?!"

Dream smiled, his heart still beating fast from the thought of loosing George forever. He had grown to appreciate him so much and even though they hadn't known eachother for long, Dream already wasn't able to imagine a world without George anymore.

"So... we're back." Georges voice snapped Dream out of his thoughts. "What now?"

A dumbfounded silence elaborated between the two as they realized they hadn't thought about that.

Dream felt stupid. But of course, on the ship between all the humans all they had thought about was escape, not what they would do after.

"Um... how about we just go find the next village? You know, check out where we are?" "Yeah! Wait, no."

George looked to the ground. "We could be in any kingdom. Siren, mermaid or maybe even something else. However, no matter in which we are, atleast one of us will count as an enemy."

"Oh, yeah..." Dream mentally slapped himself for not realizing that sooner. "So, I think we should go to that village, but observe it from a safe distance. Then we can talk about what to do next." "Yeah, sounds good."

"Alright then, come on you green goblin.", George said and swam away. "Hey, wait for me! You didn't even thank me for getting us out of there and saving your life! And what the hell is a goblin?"

George turned around so suddenly that Dream almost bumped into him. "First, I could have figured something out myself. I don't need you. Second, you only had to save my life because you put me in danger. Third, a human once said something that sounded quite similar and the others started laughing, so it must be some kind of insult."

Dream was stunned. He was already thinking of a sassy reply, but then decided on something else. "Fine. If you don't need me, I'll leave." He turned around and started swimming somewhere, knowing very well that probably none of them would be able to survive in the outer sea alone.

It took George longer than expected, but in the end he did call for Dream. "Wait!" Dream turned around, grinning. George looked very angry, realizing in what kind of trap Dream had made him fall into. That made him even more cute...

Eventually, George gave the silent fight with himself up. He turned away from Dream, covering his face with his hand. "Maybe I do need you...", he mumbled.

"What was that?", Dream asked, very entertained.

"M-maybe I do need you!", George yelled. Then he turned around, his face bright red. Dream chuckled.

"B-but only 'til we're home!"