Chapter 99: Approval

TW: Homophobic

Info: Octocoralliae are a species of underwater animals. They act like Anemoneae, which means they don't move or do anything at all.
The merfolk uses them like we use flowers, you gift them to your lover, but in pots (cause anything else would kill them and who'd want a dead animal as a sign of love).

*****************************

When George and his father entered the throne room again, the first thing they heard was Mary lecturing a very interested Dream about George's habits.

"-and he goes to sleep after sunset. He likes the green seaweed that's growing right outside the city, but not the red.

If you want to get him a present for your anniversary, the best I can recommend are live octocoralliae (Picture). They're really expensive, but-"

"What is happening here?"

"Oh, I'm just teaching my future brother-in-law some basic knowledge. I mean, he needs to be worthy of you after all."

"We're not even dating!", George screeched, face bright red. "Not yet", Mary responded calmly. "You two sure are taking some time with that."

"I forbid my son dates a man", George's father cut in from behind.

Dream felt like he had just been stabbed right into his heart. What? He can't... date a man?

Who does he think he is to try to tell George how he has to feel? To repress and dismiss his feelings?

I mean, what are we without feelings? Aren't they part of what makes us... well, us?

Oh no... George looks like he believes him... His father's approval must mean a lot to him... What do I do now?

What if... he believes him and doesn't want to see me anymore? That would be somewhere close to the end of the world for Dream.

"Now, sir, I am very thankful for your help, but I'm afraid you're going to have to go now."

"Wasn't there a price for bringing George back alive?", Mary asked, but the king didn't care. "Why don't you show him the way out?", he said to a guard, his voice making it clear he wasn't asking. The merman nodded.

I guess I'll see what our relationship means to him now..., Dream thought. "Wait!", George yelled, swam towards him and hugged him.

Yes!

As George looked up into the green eyes of the siren, a new kind of fear numbed him. Is this the end? Will I never see him again?

Dream hugged him back tightly and whispered: "Tunnels. Tomorrow at midnight." Then he let go as if nothing had happened and left a shocked and confused George alone in the hallway.