Chapter 14: Dead?

TW: Still Captivity

*****************************

It was already the next day. George had given up staring. It wouldn't bring the siren back anyways.

He had tried sleeping, trying to break the glass and watching the humans. Nothing worked in getting his thoughts away from the siren man's fate.

His hunger, which was burning holes in his stomach and making it very difficult to think about anything else, was also a bit of a problem. He hadn't eaten in days now. But George would never touch the food, even if it meant dying. Now he was sure it was poisoned. Why would they even want to feed us? They probably just want us dead. But the humans did save his life when he was about to suffocate...

Argh, all of this was so confusing! George curled up into a ball on the ground of his tank and tried to think of nothing.

Footssteps approached his tank. He didn't even bother to look up. There were almost always some human standing infront of their tanks, very annoying.

A splash. George's head shot up. The siren! They had brought him back! The man sank to the ground of the neighbor tank, not moving at all.

George's blood froze. He swam over to the other tank so fast he hit the wall, but he didn't care. Was the siren breathing? George stared at the male's gills. He didn't believe in any god, but now he was silently praying to literally anyone who could maybe hear him. Tears were already rolling down his cheeks. Please just be alive. Please!, he begged.

Suddenly, the gills started shivering, sucking in the water. George couldn't remember he had ever been this happy in his entire life. Tears were still streaming down his face, but now it were tears of joy.

After seeing that the siren was alive, his poor hungry brain couldn't take the emotional rollercoaster anymore and decided to stop working for the process of calming down, which effectively shut down his entire body. The last thing George saw were those beautiful green eyes he had never dared to hope to see again slowly opening themselves, then he passed out.