Chapter 88: The Weapon

"So, uh... what now?"
"Now we're stuck here. Isn't that obvious?"

George swam down into the huge room to try to find a way out.

Swarms of beautiful fish and other animals swam upwards in fear and suddenly, the sirens found themselves surrounded by a whirlwind of colors.

"Wow...", Dream whispered. The fish, who had probably never met their kind, weren't scared at all and swam past him less than a finger's lenght away from his face. Dream could see every single stripe going down it's back. He was mesmerized.

Meanwhile George didn't even take a single look at the animals and picked up one of the weapons lying around. "Hey, Dream, what's this?"

His siren friend swam down to him and observed what he had found. "It could be...", he mumbled. "No, but that's not possible..."

"What?!", George asked annoyedly. He hated the way the siren aleays kept theories to himself until he was sure they were true. Every single detail could be of use now and if he couldn't figure it out, maybe George could. They had to work together now if they wanted to get out of here, but how could they if Dream's silence defied every possibility of teamwork!

He hadn't gotten much sleep recently, had he? Ugh, that wasn't the point.

Dream sighed. "This kind of weapon is displayed on very old paintings from around the time sirenkind first started drawing things that could be found by later generations. We have no records of what exactly it is or how it was used."

"Wait, so you... don't know what it is?" "Yeah."

Dream raised his head and looked around. "There's a myth, you know. The merfolk started drawing things after getting in touch with humans. Sirenkind always mocked that and started doing it aswell a long time after the merfolk because of pride, they didn'twant to repeat human actions, but then they realized it could actually be useful."

"Yeah, so?", George asked, he knew all this. Maybe he had accidentally listened to his teacher's rants once.

When Dream tried to answer, he was cut off by a "Wow, guys, look at these! So cool!". It was Sapnap, who had discovered the weapons and was now chasing others around with them.

"I have to go take it away before someone's eye gets poked out", Dream sighed and left George's side.

How childish..., George thought as he watched them. But something deep inside him hurt. Don't play dumb, we all know you want to be a part of their childishness, a small voice whispered in his mind. You're jealous because you never got to behave like this and-

Shut up, George silently hissed, even though he knew the voice was right.