Poems of Death

"Alright class!" The chemistry teacher stated. "It is time to hear the poems you have done safety rules on. Armin, you start."

The chemistry teacher had assigned each one of the students a safety rule of the lab, and the students had to make a poem out of it whether it be a haiku or a limerick.

Armin walked up to the front of the class and cleared his throat. "I made a haiku about eating unwanted liquids.

Green vile smells horrid
If one dares to take a sip
Death to the careless."

"Man, that's dark," Marco stated.

"So is yours," Armin rebutted.

"Not as much," Marco shrugged.

"Then let's hear it," the teacher gestured to the front of the room. Armin walked back to his seat as Marco took his place.

"This is a limerick about toxic waste.

It would be a lot easier you think
To put the toxic waste in the sink
But as time flew by
People will die
Vile air stained their lungs like ink."

The class fell silent.

"Marco, what the fudge," Christa called out.

"I bet Annie's is darker," Marco pointed at the blonde sitting silently in the corner trying to balance a pen on her upper lip like a mustache.

The pen immediately dropped. "Thanks for calling me out," she uttered as she walked up to the front of the room.

"I did a limerick on safety goggles.

Reiner wanted to get high
So he put stuff in his eye
He ran around
Fell to the ground
And then he died."

"Um-" Bertolt raised his hand in question.

"Shut up, Bertolt, we all know Reiner would be stupid enough to do that," Annie hissed.

"I know," Bertolt said silently.

"The last line of your limerick was supposed to be as long as the first ones," Armin pointed out.

"A shame," Annie said under her breath as she plopped back down in her seat. "I call out Bertolt."

"W-what?" He trembled. "I'm not prepared."

"Do it!" Annie threatened.

"Okay," he quickly got up and walked to the front of the room. "It's a limerick about treating animals with care.

Bob is testing with how worms respond
He made a puddle and called it a pond
He drowned the worm
It died from germs
The worm will haunt him though dawn."

"How would a worm die from germs if it drowned?" Marco asked.

"It could if I needed it to rhyme," Bertolt uttered.

"Okay. Does anyone have something that doesn't result in someone or something dying?" The teacher asked.

"May I go next?" Historia asked with a smile.

The chemistry teacher smiled right back. "Of course you can, sweetheart."

"I wrote a haiku about open toed-shoes

Sandals are so cute
But a knife slips from your hands
You bleed out and die."

The entire class was staring at the petite blind girl standing happily in the front of the room.

"What?" She asked. "I never said my poem didn't have death in it."

"Dang," Armin spoke out.

"I think Christa wins," Marco stated.

"She deserves a round of applause," Annie uttered half-sarcastically since she actually enjoyed Christa's work. She just didn't want to applaud since it required moving her hands which were busy trying to balance the pen on her lip again.

The class applauded Christa as she took a bow and returned to her seat.

"All hail the queen of gruesome poems!" Someone shouted.

"All hail!" Everyone else followed. The all chanted Christa's name as they lifted her up from her seat and carried her down the hallway. Even the children who were in their classrooms dropped their textbooks and gathered outside to greet her. She was even presented a crown of honor. They admired her so much, they even made her a castle which was built on top of the school so there was no more school and-

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait just a second-"

✎✐

"What?" Christa asked.

"What is this story about again?" Jean asked.

"It's about the time when I became Queen of Gruesome Poems," Christa stated.

"And I'm proud of my queen," Ymir sniffled.

"I was there, and I am here to document that the last part didn't happen," Armin stated.

"Which last part?" Christa asked.

"The part that's farfetched," Armin stated. "The part where we carry you down the halls and the castle..."

"Don't be such a Debbie Downer, Armin," Ymir stated.

"Debbie Downer?" Armin uttered to himself. "I'm not a downer-"

"I think it is time to celebrate the queen!" Ymir stated. "To the cafeteria where we will eat!"

All along the way, Armin trailed behind. He wasn't a downer was he? Well, sure he liked being factual and all, but was he really a downer? Perhaps the school was just weird. Like the time he got caught in World War 3 and the Pokemon battle. He also heard there was another impending war which he was definitely not looking forward to.

He decided it was best to ask his best friend. "Hey Eren!" Armin called out at the boy. "Do you think I'm a downer?"

"No, Armin," Eren stated as he put his hand on armin's shoulder. "I think your hair looks great today."

"That wasn't my question," Armin stated.

"Well, I have to run, man," Eren stated. "This hallway pass doesn't last forever."

"But!" Armin opened his mouth to call him back, but he decided not to. "I will one day prove to the world I am not a downer!" Armin shouted angrily towards the tiled ceiling above him. "ONE DAY!

But first, I must eat," Armin said to himself. "A hungry Armin cannot take over the world on an empty stomach." Armin happily skipped over to the cafeteria, anticipating the mac and cheese he had packed for lunch. He truly did love mac and cheese.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~