Redemption

Day 1

The little blond eleventh grader stopped to think, tapping his pen on his chin. He continued scribbling in his book.

My therapist says that I should keep a journal to maintain my sanity.

Armin thought a little more.

It is the first day of my junior year. I am no longer an underclassman. My worst fear is that this year will be more wild than ever before. I am already taking impossibly hard classes. Apparently it is not normal for a junior to be taking a quantum physics class.

I blame my friends for my loss of sanity. I know it sounds like I'm not owning up to anything but seriously....

Have you met them?

My goals this year is to excel in every class, corrupt humanity, and-

Suddenly, there was a loud noise from down the hall. It was Jean and Eren crashing into a trash can. Jean was pulling Eren down on a wheel chair as they made their way up to Armin.

"Your highness!" Eren exclaimed in concern. "The northern province had been invaded by Ymir-San! She wants to take your crown."

"She can have it," Armin said simply.

Eren blinked at Armin. "Come again?"

"I don't need to be queen," Armin said calmly. "To expand your freedom is to get rid of all attachments."

"Oh! Ohhhhhh! It's my house!" Erd cried out. "Oh, why Ymir? Why did you burn it? Ooohhhhh! I had a wife and children and now they're dead! Whhhhyyyyyy?"

"Do you see the agony Ymir-San is causing?" Eren gestured.

"None of my concern," Armin looked away. "I need to free myself from any weirdness."

There was the sound of screams of terror I the background which was followed by a large crowd running down the hall. Ymir then approached them in her golden chariot which was really just a wheely chair with yellow paper attached to it.

She dramatically pointed to Armin with her foam sword. "I challenge you to a hula-hoop dual for queenship!" Ymir shouted as she raised the hula-hoops and grass skirts in her other hand.

"You can have it," Armin answered.

Ymir gasped as if someone just insulted her entire family. "How dare you say that to me! I will tear you to shreds-wait you're just giving this to me?"

Armin shrugged indifferently. Ymir's jaw dropped to the floor.

"I know right?" Eren crossed his arms.

"Look, I just want a normal school year," Armin said.

"Oh naw naw naw naw naw," Ymir sassed. "You think imma let you you let me win that easy? We're gonna settle this, right here, right now! Christa! Hold my hoops," Ymir said as she handed Christa the hula hoops and skirts.

"Christa, there is no need to hold her hoops for her," Armin said in a calm tone that was almost irritating. "I have math to focus on."

Ymir squinted before dragging Jean and Eren to the opposite wall. "We need to get him back. Armin has been significantly in-weirding himself recently, and I don't like it."

"What can we do?" Jean shrugged. "Maybe the boy is actually... You know... The boring normal friend."

Eren and Ymir gasped simultaneously, looking at Jean like he slapped their infant children.

"Remember when Armin stalked me?" Eren asked.

"Or when he challenged my queenship?" Ymir asked.

"He was once one of us," Eren said, looking dramatically into the distance.

"I'm still right here, guys," Armin spoke up, mere feet away.

"SHUT UP, ARMIN!" Everyone shouted at once.

"I know!" Ymir said. "Let's lock him in a room with that one crazy senior so she can science him into his old self."

"How does one science someone into being something?" Eren asked.

"DON'T QUESTION SCIENCE!!!" Hanji bellowed as she rode down the hall on a chariot pulled by at least fifty oversized, blue, mutant guinea pigs.

"How about we force him to hang out with us more?" Jean suggested.

"If we force him to hang out with us more, that is practically forcing him to stalk us," Eren chided. "I still have PTSD from that one time."

"How about we hit him where it really hurts," Ymir chimed in. "Yeah, I'm talking about cutting his luscious golden locks."

"Or," Christa spoke up. "Appeal to his inner not boring side."

Eren scoffed. "That's what we're trying to do."

"No," Christa snapped back. "You're trying to force it outta him. Here. Watch."

Jean, Eren, and Ymir watch closely as Christa walked over to Armin who wasn't that far away at all.

"Hey Armin," Christa smiled.

Armin smirked. "Nothing you can do will appeal to me."

"Really?" Christa raised an eyebrow. "Because I happen to know that great blonde minds belonging to small badass individuals think alike."

"I am not interested," Armin said, but his eyes which sparkled with interest said a whole other thing.

"You're a queen with a lot of power, Armin," Christa observed her nails. "Not a lot of people have that kind of power. Remember when I led a revolution against Ymir." She scoffed. "I have that power as well. Just imagine what we, as two very small individuals who hold absolute power, can do to the poor unfortunate souls."

"No!" Armin shouted as he clamped his hands over his ears.

"Suit yourself," Christa shrugged. She then leaned in closer to Armin so she could whisper without anyone else hearing. "I'll have fun absorbing the tortured souls of the damned on my own."

As Christa was walking away, Armin looked to his journal. The words blurred as he began to shake uncontrollably.

What is this? He thought.

I thought only I could achieve this level of manipulation. But suddenly my senses were awakened again. I ache for the feeling of overwhelming happiness after I bathe in the tears of the broken. I long for other's misery.

I want to be sane but no longer if it means that I will give up absolute power. Yes. Power. I need to regain my power over the mere peasants.

Armin glanced up.

Here it is, Mr. Whiskers. Take us home.

"I will make my first decree of the year," Armin stated.

"He's back!" Everyone celebrated, but they did so too soon.

"Yes!" Eren cheered to the ceiling. "Armin is back-"

"I want everyONE WITHIN A FIVE METER RADIUS OF ME TO BE PELTED INTO OBLIVION WITH THE GROSS LUNCH FOOD!" Armin ordered.

"Wait a minute. We're within a five meter radius of him." Ymir said.

Armin turned around and gave them a devious smile. "You better run."

And once again, there was screaming of pure horror ringing through the school hallways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~