Goodbyes and Farewells

In no means was this farewell party lively. Everyone talked. People laughed occasionally when someone cracked a joke.

But it wasn't lively.

The lively where there seemed to be havoc and shenanigans around every turn. The lively where there was constant sassiness and savagery. The lively where everything was hectic but, still it wouldn't be an experience that anyone would trade for the world.

However, that's what comes with goodbyes and farewells, Armin thought to himself.

He recalls his freshman year, commanding Eren and Mikasa to push him down the hallways. It was the first of many shenanigans that would lead to an extremely eventful career in high school.

And honestly, he couldn't see it without his now graduated friends. He and his rising seniors still have one year, and he knows that there will still be some crazy antics. But in no way would it be the same.

Everyone else around him knows this and feels this. It looms over them like a raincloud.

And that's why it wasn't lively.

Armin knows there's so little he can do to try and get everyone to perk up. So he just rolls with it. He takes a chair from a table and pulls it out. He takes a step onto the chair, grabbing a glass cup and a spoon on his way up, and looks out. He already has some people's attention, and he taps the spoon against the glass with a clink clink clink to gain the rest.

"Um, hey guys," he begins. "I know what you all are thinking. 'Wow, this sure is sad. It may be the last time I see this person in who knows how long.' So how about we just have a discussion with everyone you know? Reminisce us all together?"

Armin looks around, catching a few stray sad smiles appearing on familiar faces. "Even during school it was rare when all of us are together like this. So why not make the most of it, you know?"

A sniffle echoed through the sea of people. "Armin, that was beautiful," Hanji cried.

"Hey, shut it, four eyes," Levi said. But unlike how he usually said it, it wasn't dripping with annoyance, but it was rather quiet, almost defeated-sounding.

"Let's all say something we cherish," Sasha spoke up. "It can be a memory, a person, anything!"

"Okay," Eren smiled. "I'll start!"

"Of course you take the spotlight first," Jean joked.

"Shut up," Eren said, but he didn't mean it harshly. "I really cherish that first Christmas together. It was when we got to meet most of you guys," he said as he looked around at all the graduates. "We got to know you guys better and it was the start of something amazing. Chaotic, but amazing."

Several of his peers spoke up, agreeing that they too cherished that moment.

"Capture the flag the first year was so much fun!" Hanji cried out. "And how it led to the annual tradition for years to come!"

"Strangely enough, I actually enjoyed the time Hanji nearly destroys something or kills someone," Armin stated.

"And strangely enough, I enjoy whatever mess Reiner is brewing up with glitter and bras," Mike grunted.

"That's very true," Ymir chimed in. "He's actually quite entertaining."

"And unapologetically gay," Christa added.

"Oh hell yeah," Reiner said proudly, crossing his arms in front of his chest. "I sure love it up my b-"

"I like Darco because he hungers for blood," Bertolt announced, immediately cutting off Reiner's sentence.