Death is Not Around the Corner

"And a one, two, three!" Armin shouted, initiating the happy birthday song. All the other friends joined in as Bertolt sat awkwardly in front of his cake with a party hat rested crooked on his head.

When they finished, they all pushed Bertolt to make a wish. He closed his eyes for a few seconds before blowing out all of his candles.

"Happy birthday!" Everyone cheered one more time.

"So tell me why everything is Jurassic Park-themed," Bertolt gestured to everything around him. From the plates to the banners to the creepy and atrocious paper-mâché dinosaur that resembled a T-Rex of sorts, everything was from Jurassic Park, and it wasn't even Bertolt's favorite movie.

"That was the only theme that was on sale," Eren stated. "So we took advantage of it."

"Half off!" Marco added cheerfully.

"Let's eat the cake!" Sasha cheered.

Everyone cheered as Bertolt was given a knife to cut the cake with an exception of Jean and Reiner. In fact, they looked more paranoid than anything.

"Hey, Jean, Reiner, you okay?" Christa asked.

They both seemed to be shaking. Not responding at all.

"I think they should have a piece of cake first," Marco suggested sweetly.

"Yeah," Bertolt smiled at the two. "To calm those nerves."

"No, no, no, it's perfectly fine," Jean laughed nervously.

"No," Bertolt said as he cut out two pieces of cake and handed one to Reiner and Jean. His expression changed subtlety. Only Reiner, Jean, and Marco noticed this dark shift. "I insist." His face lit up right after with a sweet smile. "It's my birthday after all."

Jean and Reiner took the cake with their shaky hands. Both of them looked at Bertolt and Marco who were still smiling brightly down at the two. Then, they glanced at each other for a second, then nodded. Reiner and Jean scooped up a piece of cake.

"They're sweating harder than Bertolt, what's going on?" Connie asked Sasha. She didn't reply with a laugh like he thought she would so he glanced at her. "Sasha-"

She was shaking and sweating as well, as if she was anticipating something.

At long last, Jean and Reiner put the spoonfuls of cake in their mouths, chewed it, and swallowed. After this, Bertolt's and Marco's eyes seem to flash a devious look. Jean and Reiner appeared as if they knew they were defeated.

Meanwhile, everyone was quite confused as to what had just happened between the four. Not to mention, Sasha still appeared to be traumatized.

Annie glanced around at everyone and scoffed. "What are you idiots doing with your lives?" She walked over to the cake and cut out a piece for herself. She took a bite, as everyone stared at her, almost as if they were expecting her to start acting weird, but the only response they got was:

"The fuck are you all staring at?" She asked with a mouthful of cake. "This shit is good."

"I want to try!" Connie shouted.

"I'll cut a piece for you, Ymir," Christa smiled.

"Aw!" Ymir squealed. "Thanks, bae!"

"Here, Mikasa," Eren handed her a cake. "Have a piece."

Her face did not change, but her aura radiated with pure joy. She took a bite of the cake, and it was almost as if she was glowing from happiness.

"Wow," Ymir remarked. "She really likes cake."