::54:: Life

"The Journey of a thousand miles

begins with a single step."

-Lao Tzu

Haru's eyes widened in shock at the young girl's declaration. The thought of losing two of the most important people in life made his heart clench. He frowned looking at the ground feeling utterly useless knowing that he wouldn't be able to do anything. He could only watch and see how Asami would get out of this situation.

"You can't be serious right?" Blue eyes focused on the smaller girl in disbelief. "If you go through with this... we all lose."

"Precisely." Meredy stated, her eyes filled with determination. "That's how far i'm willing to go. This is it. Death is all that's left for us."

Asami felt a small pressure on her back. This must what Gray is feeling. She thought keeping her gaze on the girl.

"There's no need to fight you anymore." Meredy said summoning two large blades. "In fact I'm going to end this right now." The swords aimed themselves to her neck ready to slice her throat. Asami gasped in shock. "To that I will die!"

"Don't!" The ravenette cried out but the young girl was to determined to end this. Asami clenched her fists. I hope you can forgive me, Gray. She thought as she formed a senbon in her hand and stabbed her thigh causing Meredy's blades to disappear. The two girls dropped to one knee in pain. Asami felt utterly exhausted but, she had to keep her guard up no matter what.

"You hurt yourself for him?" Meredy said not able to believe that this young woman would willingly hurt herself to save someone like Gray Fullbuster. "You're smart. I'll give you that but, causing me pain won't help you. If you want to stop me you're going to have to kill me. However, doing so will only aid my vengeance." She said as Asami continued to listen. "Give up! You can't keep hurting yourself forever. Eventually your body will fail but, that doesn't matter to you does it. You'll fight till your last breath. Don't you get it. Nothing you do will change our fate. All roads converge to death for us. It's the only option."

"That's not true." Asami uttered flinching in pain as she tried to stand. "If you leave Gray alone. We get to live."

"That's nonsense! I will kill Gray Fullbuster and put Ultears heart at ease!" Meredy yelled in anger. A blade appeared above her.

"Not if I can help it. If I have to knock the two us out then so be it." Asami winced as she made her way towards the screaming girl.

I have to kill him for Ultear. Meredy thought as her mind flashed back to the moment that she met Ultear. The woman who took her in and cared for her. She flinched suddenly when the Water Dragon Slayer hugged her.

Asami felt everything that Meredy was feeling for Ultear and saw the happy memories she had. In a way she could understand why Meredy felt so obligated to do this. Loving someone can you make you blind and do reckless things. Exactly how Meredy who was willing to sacrifice her own life to make Ultear happy. Tears fell from her blue eyes as she hugged the younger confused girl. Asami pulled back to see her face. "You feel love. I can feel it." She said in a gentle tone. "You love someone and they mean the world to you. So, live for her. Live for the person that you love. Like how I live for the one that I love. Live for them."