Chapter 94

I ran through the woods. The lush green trees blurring in my vision as I tried to get away from what was chasing me. I was careful not to trip over rocks as I ran. I made sure to duck under branches so I would not get smacked in the face. The only thing that could be heard in the quite woods where my footsteps against the dried leaves and the footsteps of whoever was chasing me.

I could hear them getting closer but I could not force my feet to move any faster. I knew I needed to hide or I was never going to get away. I ran into a clearing and to my luck there was a hollowed out log lying to the side. I ran over and forced myself inside. I laid there quietly as I listened to the footsteps approached. I just hopped whoever was chasing me would keep moving and not think to look in here. When was I ever that lucky? I watched as the pair of feet stopped at the end of the log. The figure bent down and grabbed hold of my ankles. I tried to fight against it but he was stronger. I was pulled out of the log with ease. But as I laid there looking up at the figure standing over me I was not scared.

"First rule of survival, never hid we will always find you." The young boy said to me as he pointed to his noise.

"Well that's not fair. I don't have a super nose." I whined.

"You have powers. Use them." He said to me.

"Derek! Thana! Dinner!" A voice yelled out into the woods.

We both looked towards the voice.

"Race you." Derek said and then took off before I could even respond.

"Hey not far!" I yelled as I tried to run after him but it was no use he was too fast.

When I made it through the trees to the clearing where my house should be it was dark and I was looking at the Hale house instead of mine. There was smoke and flames coming from the house along with the screams of those trapped inside.

I instantly became worried and before even thinking I ran inside.

"Derek!" I yelled over and over again as I tried to get to the screaming Hales but the only one I found was Peter.

The mean Hale who always picked on me.

"Where is he?" I yelled out as I started to fall apart not being able to find my familiar.

I shot up and frantically looked around. I was still in Derek's loft. I was sitting on his couch. I must have fallen asleep. I looked over to see Derek sleeping in a weird position next to me. It was obvious I had fallen asleep on him.

"It's not polite to stair." He said to me with his eyes still closed.

But I could not focus. I could not make words. All those nightmares I had every night. They were off the fire. The person I was looking for was Derek and the burring man was Peter. Not only that I remembered something. I remembered Derek, I remember playing in the woods with him when we were kids.

"What's wrong?" He asked as he sat up getting closer to me.

"I remembered something." I told him.

"Really, what did you remember?" He asked.

"You, I remembered you. Us playing hide and seek in the woods. Us racing home for dinner. The fire. I was looking for you." I told him.

I had not even realized I was crying until I felt his thumbs against my cheeks wiping them away.

"This is good." He said. "The book is working."

It was in that moment when his hands were on my face that I knew he was wrong. It was not the book.

"It's not the book it's you." I told him.

He was the one my aunt bound me to. I would not be able to get my powers back unless I found my familiar. The one person in the world who would do anything to keep me safe.